HD Ready or Not ???

wormsinmyhead 21:29 05 Jun 06

I needed a new TV. Off I went and bought a Neovia 3201es flatscreen, from a major High St computer store. Described as HD ready I was happy to wait for the new revolution.

SKY, finally announced the launch date, and I ordered. It arrived today as arranged, only to find the TV is not truely HD ready. Scart is not suitable and there was No HDMI/DVI connection.
It has HD Video input, connected via 'Video Component Leads', but that is analogue not digital so will not give total resolution.

I went to the retailers website to discover they no longer stocked that model ? next stop!manufacturers website. Suprise! Suprise! Model no longer listed as neo3201es.

Telephoned the retail store only to be told that the is no industry benchmark for what is 'HD READY'. But onscreen, in front of me was their WEBSITE stating to be HD(READY) a TV MUST HAVE:

1. XGA Screen with a minimum of 720 Horiz' lines.
2. HMDI or DVI connection supporting HighBandwith Digital Content Protection.
3. Component Video Input.
IF A TV DOES NOT HAVE ALL 3, IT IS NOT HD READY.

Er! I'll have to speak to the salesman and call you back on 09/06/ when he is in !!???.

I know Buyer Beware or Aware.

YOUR COMMENTS PLEASE!

bfoc 22:41 05 Jun 06

Depend on when you bought the TV.

If it was after the HD ready definition you quote was accepted by the store then you would have strong grounds for arguing that the TV was not as described (HD ready).

However if you bought it before the definition was accepted it might be more difficult, unless you could show that 'HD ready' was generally used, at that time, to mean what the current definition states.

I am no expert on HD TV, but I recall discussions, some time ago, about confusion over what HD ready meant and this was why the black HD ready logo was introduced. click here

oresome 09:13 06 Jun 06

This sort of thing has been going on with TV manufacturers ever since the industry started when there was just the BBC 1 channel.

Early sets that were claimed to be Band 3 ready and later UHF ready and 625 line ready had little more than space within the cabinet to add extra components as and when they were eventually developed.

Most customers got a shock when they found out how much extra it would actually cost to make their set truly operational when the service became available.

jack 09:16 06 Jun 06

It has all to do with manufacturers/retilers and the media- leaping onto band wagon before standards are set.
I guess some one has to be first and if it is you then you have to prepared to put up with prototypes/dead end standards etc., - the golden rule is curb your impetuosity and wait a bit.
Having said that I remember the day when B/W TV switched from 405 VHF to 625 lines UHF - first there was a box ,then there were dual standard and then there were single standard TV's ,new aerials too were required- it seemed to go very smoothly I seem to recall.
Now as to your problem - depending on how long ago you purchased the set - you could have the retailer for a John Reid[not fit for purpose] or even enter into a discourse with them to PX it for a current standard.

rodriguez 12:27 07 Jun 06

A true HD ready TV will have HDMI and/or DVI sockets, as this is the most common way of connecting HD equipment including Sky HD boxes. When you go to buy a HD ready TV don't look for the "HD Ready" logo, instead look at the sockets on the back. It should really have a HDMI/DVI socket for best resolution and picture quality.

PUNKA 07:57 20 Jun 06

From what we have read on the subject HD Ready means it is capable of receiving the required Picture/Sound qualities,providing you have a tuner to convert the signal/reception into the required format.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…