HD or not HD ready

rupie 22:01 30 Sep 05

I was dreamily wandering down the high street today and looking in the windows of sony, currys, B&O and the like. Lots of places had screens that were HD ready. some of the screens were not of a full HD resolution, they still said hd ready, still had the correct connectors on the back. Does this mean that just because it is ready for HD it may not give full HD quality ????

Mr Mistoffelees 13:26 01 Oct 05

If the screen cannot display the full resolution of HDTV then quality will be reduced. IMO a television is only HDTV ready if it fully supports the required resolution. Retailers claim any tv with the right connectors is HD ready just to shift more units.

DieSse 12:05 02 Oct 05

*Retailers claim any tv with the right connectors is HD*

And that also raises the question of what are the right connectors. If you want to use it with an future Sky Digibox with HD - then ask them about that - I understand there's still doubt about how Sky will do it - and many people will be wanting a TV that's definately Sky HD connector ready, won't they?

rupie 15:50 02 Oct 05

Alot of people are saying that if your tv has componant connections but I had the fortune of seeing a sony playstation III demo, the other day, and they run full HD. The connector is DVI, like a pc. To produce a full hd res in a hd format a computer output mest be needed and not just commonant pal

rupie 15:54 02 Oct 05

Dixond are advertising displays that are hd ready. The unit I saw had HDMI connectors but the resolution of the screen was only 1366 x 768 How does this work ??

rupie 16:28 07 Oct 05

I have been looking into things and there are different versions of HD. For example the spec of hd that sky will be using is approx 1330x768.

Michael Joyce 19:06 21 Jan 06

There are some misconceptions about HD TV which the manufacturers are putting about. All other definitions are essentially lies. Richer Sounds in the UK is as guilty of this as anyone.

720p is 1280x720 pixels.
1080i or 1080p is 1920x1080 pixels.

When you see a panel advertised as 1366x768, 1280x768, or 1280x720 it should be capable of displaying a 720p signal without scaling (possibly through the use of small black bars at the top and bottom for the screens with 768 pixels). A 1080 signal is scaled down to 1280x720 (usually).

A panel advertised as 1920x1080 is just that a 1080i or 1080p panel. It's ability to display 1080p is determined by the circuitry more than anything, and though the response rate of the pixels may also dictate this. Thes panels will scale up 720p to fit the native resolution. The quality of this very much depends on the cleverness of the scaler hardware.

There are some weird panels out there labeled as HD ready. Examples include 1024x768, 1024x1024. These are not true HD, the only part of it that is HD ready is the tuner, or scaler. The panel itself (the really important part you watch :-)) is not HD.

anskyber 20:50 21 Jan 06

There is a clear European HD definition and that is for all practical purposes here. click here in addition if you are woried about Sky well look at what they say. click here Finally look at this click here The key for me having bought an HD Ready set is to make sure the right connectivity is there and the most flexible for the future is HDMI

anskyber 20:56 21 Jan 06

Sorry forgot to add the official European Definition or rather standclick here that MUST be met.

anskyber 20:58 21 Jan 06

Ill get this right in a second try this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…