Having troble installing program from a DVD disc

Anti_Virus 13:51 09 Dec 06

Hi, I've just bought the 'Driving Test Success - All Tests 2006/07' cd to install on my computer. However, it comes in a dvd-rom format (I tink this is because of the amount of hazard perception video content, or maybe because there's more space available on a dvd disc, i don't know.) Anyway, when I put it into my Disc drive it says i put in a dvd and i can't install it. When I right click the D:/ icon in "My Computer" the computer kinda freezes, but if you wait long enough, the drop down list will appear. Then when I click "Explore" to try and find the install program, another semi crash, and I come up with an explorer window, with a blank space. Basically when I explore the cd/dvd, windows thinks there's nothing in it. Now before anyone asks, I do have a DVD drive, so that can't be the problem. Also, when I put it into my reasonlably old laptop (which has a dvd drive) it worked. A menu popped up automatically prompting me to install the program. So it can't be a fault with the cd which was what i thought. Now, i know Sims 2 was in dvd format, so maybe someone has experienced a similar problem. If anyone can help me it would be great. Oh, and also, before anyone asks, my brother uses the laptop at college, so I can't use that all week.

peter4076 16:44 13 Dec 06

I don't know if this would help, couple of weeks back I purchaseed the Encarta Reference DVD, I couldn't load it all, so after a few failed attempts, wrapped it back up for postage back to Amazon, when I thought I would try it in my DVD writer and it loaded atreat, so fault was my DVD-ROM drive, so for £12.00 from ebuyer I purchased the above.
ps. I agree it must be the size of the software loading, but now everything installs a lot quicker.

Terry Brown 16:16 14 Dec 06

Download a program called CDCHECK (version 3), which has a recover option, which enables you to copy the DVD to your hard drive in it entirety. Run the install from the hard drive, and your problem should be solved.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant