handheld GPS. which one?

doctor92 18:09 14 Oct 06

I would like to buy a handheld GPS to use as a backup to the maps for when I go on my occasional forays into the middle of nowhere. Looking through most of the online shops there seems to be thousands of them, all with different features. All I want it to do is tell me where I am, where I started from, and maybe I would like to connect it to PC to record a route I particularly liked, and I don't want to spend too much. Does anyone have any reccomendations?

psychopomp1 19:32 15 Oct 06

Hi
In my opinion one of the best handheld units is the Garmin 12. It only has a b/w screen, but its very rugged, has all of the functions which you require and is fairly cheap. I use one at work in the middle of the Sahara Desert and its never let me down so far. GPS warehouse do one for about 113 pounds:

click here

Hope this helps.

beaky bones 19:58 16 Oct 06

i reccomend the Mio DigiWalker. A friend of mine has it, and they say that it works great.

doctor92 02:24 17 Oct 06

that Garmin one looks like a good one, also the site it is one seems to supply them cheaper than anywhere else I have found, thanks for the link

djsew 19:40 31 Oct 06

And when you have your new toy I would recommend you get some plotting software onto your PC.

Prep your route on a scanned image of a map then download the data to the GPS Handheld.
"GPS Utility" is rated good. Pick up a slightly limited version to try out at click here.
(Sorry, I dont know how to do those clever URL hotspot inserts!)
Good luck.

djsew 19:42 31 Oct 06

Well I'll be darned!! It does it for you!!

HXP 00:41 02 Nov 06

iPAQ + TomTom 5 + bluetooth GPS

Very flexible as you have a PDA, games , video player, mp3 , mobile office suite, multi function device.

Had one for a few years and as I use GPS once or twice a week I tend to use the PDA function euqlly as much.

Worth a look

Try here always given me good advice click here

anchor 10:28 02 Nov 06

TomTom mapping is fine, but only for the road network. Useless for trekking into the back of beyond.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced