graphics card for PC to access net for smart TV

markcomp 01 Dec 11
Answered

I have an older PC running XP that I would like to use to bring the internet to our TV. I would like to connect via HDMI and so am thinking about a new graphics card. I don't need a tuner as the signal comes via a satellite dish and box. what should I be looking for and does anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 01 Dec 11

Is it essential that you use the HDMI?

Most modern TVs have a PC input (VGA) just use a monitor cable and to connect sound an audio 3.5 male jack to jack to connect from headphone / speaker out on PC to PC audio in on TV

markcomp 01 Dec 11

HDMI is not essential, just neater and only 1 cable

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 01 Dec 11
  markcomp 02 Dec 11

Thanks for all your comments and feedback, would I be correct in assuming that you think I am wasting my cash looking at a new graphics card and should just cable it up as suggested by Fruitbat. Better to spend it on a decent (blueray?) DVD drive?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 02 Dec 11
Answer

Now I understand

If you want the best picture available from a blueray player in the PC then yes you do need HDMi cable and a good graphics card.

but if you do not have a blue ray player in the PC then the cheapest option is to cable the PC with a standard VGA cable and buy a separate Blueray player thus saving on the cost of a suitable graphics card

markcomp 03 Dec 11

Thanks Fruitbat, that seems the best option. Much appreciated

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Behind the scenes at Silverstone, the 70th British Grand Prix: Hisense starts UK push with Red…

How Found created this skateboard, bike and parkour stunts-laden, single-take car ad

Apple Pay UK launch date, UK user guide and participating UK banks | Apple Pay to launch in UK on 1?…

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message