graphics card for PC to access net for smart TV

markcomp 08:31 AM 01 Dec 11

I have an older PC running XP that I would like to use to bring the internet to our TV. I would like to connect via HDMI and so am thinking about a new graphics card. I don't need a tuner as the signal comes via a satellite dish and box. what should I be looking for and does anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:52 PM 01 Dec 11

Is it essential that you use the HDMI?

Most modern TVs have a PC input (VGA) just use a monitor cable and to connect sound an audio 3.5 male jack to jack to connect from headphone / speaker out on PC to PC audio in on TV

markcomp 19:40 PM 01 Dec 11

HDMI is not essential, just neater and only 1 cable

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:41 PM 01 Dec 11
  markcomp 07:23 AM 02 Dec 11

Thanks for all your comments and feedback, would I be correct in assuming that you think I am wasting my cash looking at a new graphics card and should just cable it up as suggested by Fruitbat. Better to spend it on a decent (blueray?) DVD drive?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:16 PM 02 Dec 11

Now I understand

If you want the best picture available from a blueray player in the PC then yes you do need HDMi cable and a good graphics card.

but if you do not have a blue ray player in the PC then the cheapest option is to cable the PC with a standard VGA cable and buy a separate Blueray player thus saving on the cost of a suitable graphics card

markcomp 11:52 AM 03 Dec 11

Thanks Fruitbat, that seems the best option. Much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know