Is a graphics card needed for video editing?

keewaa 08:08 26 May 06

Is a graphics card needed for video editing, or will on board graphics work fine.

I hear graphics cards are really only essential for 3D games and am wondering if I want to transfer video to the PC, edit it, possibly add some effects, encode and write to DVD, will the presence of a graphics card (vrs onboard graphics) make any difference (in a new PC).

Am I correct in thinking that the processor and RAM are the key components to consider?

keewaa 11:30 26 May 06

It's the low end Dell's I'm looking at :

The 1100 has 32 - 64MB DVMT shared with system memory

the 3100 has 224MB shared

So I guess the 3100 would be a better choice.

Thanks.

vinnyT 13:55 27 May 06

I realise you have closed the thread, but, whichever pc you choose, make sure that it has either an agp or, better, a pci-e slot so you can upgrade later on if your needs change.

Not all mobos with onboard video have the agp or pci-e slots on them.

keewaa 16:40 27 May 06

Thanks for that VinnyT ... yep neither the 1100 or 3100 have either slot, and I'm aware that has caught people out a year down the line.

I guess I am questioning the need for a graphics card at all for users who don't play games and aren't into high end video or 3D modelling ...

what else would make a GPU an essential upgrade in the future ?

De Marcus™ 17:06 27 May 06

what else would make a GPU an essential upgrade in the future ?

Certain versions of vista

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…