Goodmans Micro System 1002

Diemmess 18:43 23 Jul 06

This CD plus radio system belongs to a granddaughter.
A jammed cd was forcibly removed and has broken the mechanical means of tray control.

On holiday for 10days, my mandate - to repair if I can, but to stop the motor whirring when switched on. She has her computer for CDs if its that bad!
Her father doesn't want to use a repair shop (not worth a heavy bill), there's no one locally anyway for Goodmans.

Like all cunning and current designs it is compact and difficult to dismantle in the correct order.

Dismantled as far as I could. Collected one tiny nut which WAS captive .... but as 1 of 4 is inaccessible from my bottom up approach and made me stop before I make it worse! I think undoing the others would finish dismantling but I daren't do it without a clear plan.

Perhaps more important a small broken rubber drive band has appeared on the table.
The tray is now firmly locked in and the CD motor only runs for a few seconds after switch-on. So in one sense - Job Done!

To the point ..... Goodmans' website is only part operative and its Sunday anyway, but does someone have a service manual detailing how to access the CD unit?

I will phone G tomorrow but suspect they will not supply an ordinary non-franchised meddler like me. Spare band Yes, but how to do it...NO

Forum Editor 21:00 23 Jul 06

but I can provide the correct telephone number:

0870 873 0080

Good luck.

Diemmess 21:26 23 Jul 06

Thanks FE
The website does own up to support numbers, but other links (like Instruction manuals) don't. work.

DieSse 23:31 23 Jul 06

I'd be amazed if it actually had a service manual - and if it did have that as a mermber of the public you could actually get one for less than the cost of a new unit.

I have a friend in the repair trade (has been for many years) - he and others he knows in their support groups are always tearing their hair out over the problems of manuals and spares for such devices - let alone how to get them apart. His advice on all these - dump and buy a new one, they only cost around £60.

He refuses to even look at them now, to find out what's wrong will take him about an hour at least - then he quotes a repair price - then the client says "but they only cost £60 for a complete new one" - and he's wasted an hour of his time for nothing, every time.

They aren't meant or built, to be repairable.

Diemmess 09:49 24 Jul 06

It is depressing to expect that once a tiny part of some very subtle gear goes wrong, the whole thing is destined for landfill!

It is always worth trying as with this gem - click here

So far the omens are not good!
Goodmans (now Alba PLC) have a website where any attempt to communicate via the web is frustrated with non-working links.

The phone number brings a long delay with several layers of menu and an email address implying a reply within 48hrs.

Have sent a short one, but have no great expectations in either the timing or content of a reply.

Diemmess 15:52 28 Jul 06

Goodman's (or Alba) not in the least concerned to answer weird requests like mine!

Emailing them produces the promise that "we expect to reply within 48hrs"
It's 96 hrs without respose and I'm not holding my breath.

Will tick this to make the forum 'look better' and if I'm shown to be wrong will happily post again.

Diemmess 16:00 28 Jul 06

Error- No Fun intended

"96 hrs with no repose"?..... I sleep very well thankyou!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…