Going Digital

Coffee Adict 18:23 06 Dec 07

I was interested in this link on a previous thread
click here
I'm not digital but will be sometime in 2010. I don't watch a lot of TV, sometimes telly only goes on to catch the news headlines. So I just want something that will do the job, with the least amount of hassle. I have a VCR but can't remember when I last used it to record something.
I'm in an overlap area between Yorkshire and TyneTees although aerial is pointed to Yorkshire transmitter I can get all terrestrial channels from TyneTees with just a little bit of ghosting on BBC2 and CH5. Should I give it a try now, I know aerial may need an upgrade, but was also interested in the indoor ones also shown on same thread.

100andthirty 19:32 06 Dec 07

click here

go to this site. Enter your postcode and you'll see whether you're likely to be able to receive freeview.

if Ok, Tesco Direct will sell you a box for £15 or so. They'll also sell you a SCART lead for about £1. I assume your TV has a SCART socket.

read the instructions and you'll be "go"

Coffee Adict 20:03 06 Dec 07

I had checked previously and can get it, strangely they always assume I'm on the TyneTees transmitter and I have to correct them. Tesco Direct are not flavour of the month at the mo' having taken 3wks to get a game in stock that was only supposed to take 5 days, I think they wanted me to cancel, but I'm a stubborn old bird at times. Sorry gone off at a tanget there. Yes telly has a scart, may even have an old scart lead still kicking about from when I had VCR connected to old telly. I'll go and have a look at Tesco though. Thanks for your reply.

100andthirty 21:04 06 Dec 07

if you've got a store nearby that sells freeview boxes, and you don't like Tesco, then go there. The only box I've uesd was the cheapest Alba, which cost £20 and was very easy to set up; the instructions had a Crystal Mark from the Campaign for Plain English!

v1asco 22:26 07 Dec 07

Hate to dissapoint you, a lot of the extra channels are repeats.

A few new programmes are there, for instance Torchwood was, I have a feeling these are pilots though, or in the main not audience pullers.

The good news is some of the repeats are good, Dibley, open all hours, Sweeney. For me a bit like a time warp. Tales of the Unexpected even, not seen the Prisoner yet!

I know you don't use your vcr but if you upgrade consider getting a freeview twin tuner recorder. No tape required and very easy to use. Less than £100.

I now have the Hitachi, about £99 Argos. It is superb, no problems with reception and a remote that is chunky and will bounce off the walls. A lot of freeview boxes advertise credit card size remotes.I have found these to be lacking in range or angle. My Bush Freeview I had to be directly in front of the set. The USB plug in for my laptop is far better than the Bush, and a lot friendlier.

It may also be that as you are on the fringe reception may not be so good, so the aerial and/or quality of the Freeview box should be considered.

Whatever you choose, it can't be avoided and maybe a £30 set will suit you fine. If you only watch the News you can get BBC24 no problem.

Bugle

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…