Freeview DVD Recorder Which one? How to set up?

ALI8086 13:22 14 May 07

I have recently bought a Toshiba Digital TV. But am intersted in buying a DVD Recorder with freeview (Hard Drive). My knowledge is small so wondered which one is recomended and how to set it up with my TV. I want to be able to record one digital channel whilst watching another, hence the reason for buying a second freeview. However I have no idea if this is possible. Do I need to aerials?

anchor 16:48 14 May 07

Yes, it is possible.

I, and a number of others on this forum, have the Panasonic DMR-EX75EB-S, which does exactly that; plus it has a DVD recorder.

You will only need one decent aerial, which you would connect to the aerial-in of the recorder, then connect your TV to the aerial-out socket of the recorder.

If you don`t want a DVD recorder, then the Humax models seem to be well thought of. Something like this:

click here

Stuartli 14:13 17 May 07

The Humax 9200T (twin tuner) as mentioned by anchor is a superb piece of equipment.

The Panasonic models are also excellent.

My best mate sells a fair number of both makes' products weekly, his personal choice for home use being the Humax...:-)

Stuartli 14:15 17 May 07

9200T FAQ page:

click here

anchor 16:22 17 May 07

Stuartli: I am sure the Humax is excellent. However the main factor that made me decide on the more expensive Panasonic was that the Humax cannot record from an external source, (such as a Sky digibox). I want to be able to record non-freeview satellite Sky channels, and also direct from my camcorder. Plus it will burn a DVD.

from the Humax FAQ`s:

Can I record from an external source e.g. VCR, Satellite or Cable? --
No, it is not possible to record from an external source. Only recordings of Freeview channels can be made.

Stuartli 17:12 17 May 07

With all due respect your thread only states that you want "..to be able to record one digital channel whilst watching another, hence the reason for buying a second freeview.."

You didn't mention external sources...:-)

As I stated earlier, the Panasonic models are excellent.

ICF 20:47 17 May 07

Stuartli said :-With all due respect your thread only states that you want "..to be able to record one digital channel whilst watching another, hence the reason for buying a second freeview.."

ALI8086 said:-
But am intersted in buying a DVD Recorder with freeview (Hard Drive).

The Humax 9200 (which I have)does not have DVD recorder.

Stuartli 09:11 18 May 07

You are quite correct - so one of the Panasonics (IIRC the DMR EZ45) would fit the bill.

By one of those coincidences a friend was using one yesterday to transfer to DVD-R disks some of his Grundig V2000 tapes from around 20 years ago...:-)

anchor 11:16 18 May 07

The original post from ALI8086 said: "he was interested in buying a DVD Recorder with freeview (Hard Drive)".

This implies he wishes to have the capability to burn DVD`s, and record from freeview onto a hard drive. Unfortunately, good though it is, the Humax will not meet his requirements. Neither would the DMR EZ-45, which does not have a hard drive.

There are certainly other makes on the market that will do what he wants, but I would suggest Panasonic would be one of the best. Their range is here:

click here

oldbeefer2 14:06 18 May 07

If you only want to record and not burn, then a hard disc twin tuner recorder will fit the bill. Sharp do one which is £140 from Empire Direct and can record 80 hrs of TV progs.

Stuartli 14:21 18 May 07

>>Neither would the DMR EZ-45, which does not have a hard drive.>>

I did say "IIRC"..:-)

My best mate sells various Panasonic models at his shop, so I can't always recall what each variation's features are to the letter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…