Freesat query.

marbleblue 18:39 03 Oct 06

I've been pondering getting Freesat since it was announced a while ago, and according to the official website last time I checked, it is available directly through Sky, or available from 'from large Comet and Currys stores and most independent retailers.' Alas, it has been several months since its release, but I can find no trace of it on the Currys/Comet website. has this alternative outlet been abandoned by Sky or something? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

ade.h 19:00 03 Oct 06

Actually, it has been two years since its release - that's how long we have been using it in this house. It was subject to a re-launch to boost awareness. We got ours from a local independent store, but what's wrong with going straight to Sky? You can order over the phone and it's quite painless! ;o)

marbleblue 19:08 03 Oct 06

The only gripe I have with buying straight from Sky, even more so if its been going, as you say, for 2 years, is that they're still flogging it for £150. I figure if it's been going *that* long, then there must be a small reduction in price from some retailers, surely?

marbleblue 19:08 03 Oct 06

I believe £150 was the original price. Please correct me if this is not so.

Stuartli 19:38 03 Oct 06

It's supposed to be £20 if you already have a Sky box.

ade.h 19:43 03 Oct 06

Yes, it was £150 for the equipment, installation and viewing card. A bargain when you can't receive terrestrial analogue or Freeview!

marbleblue 19:48 03 Oct 06

Yes it's that for the card alone, but I don't have any of it.

ade.h
Exactly my point. it still is £150 for all that if you get it through Sky, which is why I was wondering if anywhere else stocked it (possibly for slightly cheaper). Any ideas anyone?...

Stuartli 20:02 03 Oct 06

More details about the £20 fee on this page:

click here

Stuartli 20:04 03 Oct 06

Looking for the info in between posting...:-)

The £150 isn't bad value if you remember it includes the equipment and installation as well as the card.

Any good independent TV retailer can arrange for installation for you or, alternatively, you can buy the equipment on e-Bay or similar and it will work out cheaper.

marbleblue 20:10 03 Oct 06

Thanks for your help in making the seeming dead end mention of other outlets on the Freesat website more clear. I'll leave the thread open incase others have other experiences. Cheers :o)

Dizzy Bob 09:41 04 Oct 06

Possibly check the costings on signing up to a Sky subscription service for the minimum contract (1 year) on the lowset possible tarriff.

You may find that over the year, because the box and install will be free, that you only pay £20-£30 more, get the extra channels for the year, and then at the end of the contract switch to freesat and keep the kit.

Sky often have recommend a friend deals, so see if a neighbour or relative has it and use that as well.

I make it £146 for the year with the current offer for new subscribers (first 3 months half price (£7.50) then £15/month for the remaining 9 months, with £10 credit if you do it online.

Just a thought.

DB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…