Free view -new software?

jack 14:14 01 Oct 07

Over the past week end when ever I switched on the Free-View box i got a small grey panel with white type say in
Downloaded new software install yes/no
At first the first couple of times I was too far away from the screen to read it, before it went off
This morning however in anticipation I got ready and was able to read it.
But it is very brief- and by the time I fumbled the right shift and clocked OK it had gone, so I am not sure now it installed.
The 1st question is - Who's software - Free-view or the Set top box maker -Philips.
and the 2nd - what did it do?
and the third as I have tune out paid for channels, shopping channels music channels my list is now only 30 instead of 90 plus.
So is it worth restoring them- has something previously to be paid for gone 'Free'?

jack 17:37 01 Oct 07

That appears to be the one Beta-
did I catch it or did I not?
That is the question
What did it do?
I will have to delve certainly The signal strength meter seems a little more full- so perhaps thats it.

Stuartli 23:58 01 Oct 07

There were two Freeview software updates last Wednesday, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

There was another one on Friday, followed by a further update late this morning (Monday); this was to update the FTN channel which is going to be Virgin1 after 9pm.

A further update will be necessary early this month as the BBC radio channels are, apparently, due to be changed...:-(

BT 08:18 02 Oct 07

You can usually set your box to update automatically whenever new software is broadcast. Have a sort through the menus and set this to 'On' if its available.

jack 14:49 02 Oct 07

Having re-tuned to the full spectrum of channels available and then proceed to edit down the list to take out those that are paid for, don't watch or would not watch even if they PAID ME.
I concluded the upgrade went in and must have been something to do with sensitivity because all the reception strength bars are pretty full whereas previously they we very iffy and some low on the scale.
Thanks for the help chaps

Stuartli 16:57 02 Oct 07

Some Freeview channels are broadcast using a different type of transmission and you will find instances of lower signal strength and/or quality levels.

jack 13:57 07 Oct 07

Last word
Last night set the box up to record- first time since the download.
The timer section has been completely revamped and is a breeze to set up compared with the original.
Well done Philips.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced