Free Photo Processing Software

manrow 11:48 20 Feb 08

Anyone any ideas?

I believe Windows XP does include this in some versions, but not on my laptop it seems?

Kemistri 12:41 20 Feb 08

The GIMP, for one.

But if you can stretch to about £30, you could get a copy of PhotoImpact. I have been using that alongside Corel's software for many years and it is extremely feature-packed and pretty effective. It gives at least 80% of the features of CS3 with at least 70% of the ability, in my opinion. Now that Corel (which now owns it) has apparently decided to market the new version X3 in the US only (it is available from the US section of Corel's website) you may prefer to buy a hard copy of version 12 in the UK. click here

anchor 13:17 20 Feb 08

In my opinion one, if not the best, free photo programmes is Irfanview.

click here

This will certainly get you started.

anchor 13:22 20 Feb 08

I meant to add that my personal favourite for a "paid for" programme is Paint Shop Pro.

A 30 day trial version is available here:

click here

Stuartli 13:24 20 Feb 08

Microsoft supports Paint.NET, the latest version of which can be found at:

click here

Stuartli 13:26 20 Feb 08

There is also, of course, the very easy to use Picasa2 from:

click here

hssutton 14:54 20 Feb 08

One of the best freeware programs is Photofiltre.
click here

Kemistri 15:12 20 Feb 08

PSPX2 is very good in some respects. But as a user of both PI and PSPX2, I find that PI beats it for features hands down and usually matches its performance where they are directly comparable. PSP has just a couple of unique tools (like IR) and it's a bit better at sharpening and barrel correction. For those reasons, it's worth having alongside PI.

ventanas 15:56 20 Feb 08

click here and get Photoplus (and why not the others as well, its all free)

A very good program

Kemistri, not with you on this. PhotoImpact is ok, but very gimicky. Therefore not up to the standard of PSP, which is every bit as good as Photoshop (in my view). I run all three and prefer PSP hands down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now