Finger Print Reader

boots2 14:47 07 Mar 08

I have just bought a new Dell laptop with a fingerprint reader for login.
It gives me the option of storing the fingerprints on the reader or encrypted on the hard drive.
Which is more secure, and are they reliable, any advice please.

amonra 13:47 08 Mar 08

The fingerprint reader can be a pain in the ****, avoid it if possible. I had one last year on a L/Top I borrowed and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I found one of the cures was to wet my finger ! I disabled it after a while, too much hassle.

boots2 14:53 08 Mar 08

Thanks for that amonra I am glad I was a bit wary I will wait a while to see if any one else has a problem as well.

Sapins 19:26 09 Mar 08

I bought a Microsoft USB one a while back, it registers your fingerprints and it works perfectly. I use a bit of Blue tack to roll over the screen to clean it. Take note you should not use it for sensitive passwords,e.g. online banking, there should be a warning re this with the laptop, otherwise it saves a lot of hassle remembering passwords.

boots2 14:35 10 Mar 08

The laptop would not start Saturday gave Dell a call the said they woud contact me, so the fingerprint reader is no use now.
Well it lasted three days.

Forum Member2 13:09 11 Mar 08

what is the model number

boots2 14:29 11 Mar 08

Its the XPS M1330 still have not had any contact from Dell, I e-mailed yesterday and today.

boots2 22:20 13 Mar 08

Back working now(motherboard changed) engineer advised use passwords instead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant