Encyclopaedia Britannica '06 URS - media probs

geoffgee 11:06 28 Jul 06

Anybody having trouble with the 'media' on the Encyclopeadia Britannica 2006 Ultimate Reference suite DVD?

I received the suite as a free gift for upgrading to the DVD subscription of PC Advisor.

I have tried installing it on two different PC's and get the same problem on each PC (both running Windows XP Home and having better than the required minimum specification). I have also tried restarting after installation.

Some of the media do work - these are the animated graphics at the end of the media lists.

Neither actual (i.e. real life) video clips nor the sound clips will run - all I see is a line or two of text below a white space where (presumably) the video or audio clip should play.

Other functions of the suite seem to work as expected. Any suggestions?

anchor 12:01 28 Jul 06
  geoffgee 20:23 30 Jul 06

Thanks for your comments anchor. I have just emailed their support as suggested. I presume you have done so too. If so, how long ago was that and have you had a reply yet?

I think I'll do without the media rather than call their support line!

Cheers.

geoffgee 11:14 31 Jul 06

I have received the following reply from Britannica support which seems to solve the problem completely ...

(copied from support's reply)

The problem that you are experiencing may be due to a small issue within the QuickTime application used by Britannica to play the video files. This issue can normally be resolved by doing the following.

1. Click Start -> Control Panel (or Start -> Settings -> Control Panel).

2. Double-click the QuickTime icon.

3. In the QuickTime Settings window, select Browser Plug-In from the drop-down menu (or click the Browser tab, if using QuickTime 7).

4. Click on the MIME Settings button.

5. Click the plus (+) sign next to MPEG - MPEG system, video, and audio files.

6. Find the entry for 'MPEG-4 media' and

a. if it is not checked, place a checkmark in the box and continue to step #7.

b. if it is already checked, uncheck it and click OK. Then, go back to step #4.

7. Click the OK button.

8. Launch the Britannica program and try to launch one of the multimedia files. The video files should display correctly.

(end of quote.)

Thanks again to anchor for pointing me in the right direction.

anchor 16:44 31 Jul 06

Your reply seems to have been much better, and more detailed, than mine. I will give it a go!.

Thanks for posting it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…