dvd/hdd recorder + digital

hairyscotsman 13:36 21 Aug 07

Folks, Im sure this has been asked before but searching posts havent seen one recently.

I have a new lcd tv with digital built in and sky. Thinking of trading in the old vcr for a new dvd/hdd recorder. If I want to tape a digital channel while still watching sky or analougue I presume I am OK with a bog standard hdd/dvd recorder?

If I want to record a digital channel whilst watching another is a dvd/hdd recorder with a freeview built in all I need or am I like the rest and awaiting the advent of such a machine with a twin tuner?

oresome 14:47 21 Aug 07

Providing your TV has it's own digital tuner, a recorder with a single digital tuner is all you need to record one channel and watch any other.

The aerial lead will loop out of the recorder and into the TV as with a VCR.

holme 17:44 21 Aug 07

"I have a new lcd tv with digital built in and sky ... If I want to tape a digital channel while still watching sky or analougue I presume I am OK with a bog standard hdd/dvd recorder?"

I think you'll find that the output from the TV to the HDD/DVD recorder will be auto-switched within the TV to whatever you are viewing. So I don't think you can watch Sky or analogue and - at the same time - record the terrestrial/digital prog.

So oresome's advice is spot on. It gives you the option to record from Sky or the HDD/DVD recorder's internal digital tuner, while watching any (other) terrestrial/digital prog., or the selected Sky prog. on the TV.

If you haven't already got such an arrangement, the latter option will most likely need a separate SCART cable from the Sky box to the TV. I can email you a cabling block diagram if desired. HTH.

hairyscotsman 08:36 22 Aug 07
  holme 10:15 22 Aug 07

Hokay, I'll get the diagram to you later today (PDF format so you'll need Acrobat PDF reader or similar).

If anyone else wants a copy, please send us your email address (via the yellow envelope).

I forgot to mention yesterday that the signal going OUT from the TV digital tuner to the DVD recorder is limited to 'basic' composite video standards, so if you have a recorder with an internal digital tuner, the recording standard/quality will be significantly better.

Also you can configure your Sky box so that, if you're recording a Sky prog. on the DVD recorder, the recording quality will be RGB (again significantly better than composite video). So IMHO, it's well worth the slight additional expense of having a digital tuner included within the DVD recorder. Go for it! :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…