DVD recorders??

bythor 22:27 28 Jan 08

Hi folks. I want to record something that's on Bravo (on Sky Digital) and put it onto DVD. I need then to buy myself a DVD recorder. I have a 40" TFT screen with HDMI ports. I thought it was just a case of finding a DVD recorder with HDMI, but among the plethora I'm finding the warnings "analogue tuner, not compatible with digital signals". Am I correct in thinking this is irrelevant as I'm copying direct from my Sky box (or screen) to the DVD recorder, and the analogue tuner won't come into play? Or am I missing something here?
Lastly, any pointers on a decent machine that I won't need a buckert load of money for?

dms05 13:36 29 Jan 08

Quite correct. You will connect to the Sky box with a SCART lead and record from that Source.

I've owned a couple of DVD and DVD/HDD recorders and have had problems with DVD's playing on machines other than those they were recorded on. Everyone claims Finalising a DVD will make it compatible with other DVD machines. That is not always my experience!

If you want something cheap and cheerful ASDA are selling a DVD/HDD Recorder for under £80 (incl 80GB HDD). I generally record to HDD and anything I want to archive then goes onto DVD.

anchor 19:52 29 Jan 08

Check that any recorder you buy has an AV-scart in socket. Most, but NOT all do.

Without it, you cannot record from the Sky digibox.

bythor 20:46 29 Jan 08

thanks for your input folks. I should have said it's a Sky+ box I have, don't know if that makes any difference. I know that will record to it's hard disk, but I want to burn to DVD. Anyway, is there any advantage to taking the DVD recorder from the HDMI socket on the TV? Will it still work?

100andthirty 20:54 29 Jan 08

The HDMI socket on the TV is almost certainly an Input, not an output

bythor 21:05 29 Jan 08

Aha, well there you go I presumed the HDMI was bidirectional - good thing I asked here! So, if there is a DVD recorder with an HDMI port what's it used for? Maybe I'm looking too far into this. All I want is to know the best (and best value) way to record Bravo onto DVD. I guess I thought HDMI was a route, but if not so be it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…