DVD & HDD Recorder

Ancient Learner 11:30 09 Jun 06

Has anyone any thoughts on this subject.

We have a TV with Freeview included in it, which works fine, a Sony. We do have a little difficulty getting our older VHS recorder to record Freeview programmes.

Anyway, to bring ourselves up to date, we think we might treat ourselves to one of these all singing dancing machines.

As far as I can tell, which isn't much, there are recorders which include Freeview, do we need one of these?

The HDD models do not seem to include Video-Plus for some reason, which is a shame as it makes life a lot easier! or are there some that do?

Would the Sony at £500 from Argus be a good buy with its 160GB HDD? Or is there anything that is cheaper and could be safely delivered?

dms05 14:11 09 Jun 06

I have a LiteOn 5045 DVD HDD (160Gb) with Video+ as standard. It cost under £250. I record Freeview without a problem using a Freeview STB rather than a TV with a Freeview tuner. I assume the Tv would need to output the Freeview through a SCART socket and you would connect it to the DVD/HDD's SCART socket and record as an AV input.

Have a look at some DVD/HDD click here

amonra 15:34 10 Jun 06

I've got a Panasonic EH50, with analogue tuner. I've also got a Freeview box alongside connected into the Scart socket. This arrangement allows for recording any analogue channel whilst watching any Freeview. You can also record one of the Freeview channels and watch any ANALOGUE channel. This arrangement works and gives the best of both worlds. When the digital channels become the main source in a few years time,then perhaps I will buy a recorder with a built in digital tuner but at present I dont think the technology is quite up to the mark. Good hunting.

sype 13:10 11 Jun 06

If u buy the sony rdr-hx710 dont buy it from argos a quick look on kelkoo shows that you can get it for about £380

Fellsider 14:17 11 Jun 06

Try click here to get comparison prices.

anchor 14:31 11 Jun 06

It is £399.98 from Amazon; a good reputable company.

click here

Argos price of £499.99 is well over the top!!!.

esbe 16:28 11 Jun 06

From Aldi next Thursday £99.99.

click here

Ancient Learner 18:14 11 Jun 06

Thank you all for all the suggestions. I decided to use anchor's suggestion and have ordered the Sony from Amazon.

anchor 19:27 12 Jun 06

Ancient Learner:

Please report back when you have had time to try it out.

I have read excellent reports of this model, and have been considering it myself.

Ancient Learner 21:12 17 Jun 06

Will do. It is a birthday present for a very important lady in my life, a week today, so it will be after that when I even see it unpacked!

anchor 17:17 18 Jun 06

Ancient Learner:

I will away on holiday touring France until 10th July; we leave on Wednesday.

Look forward to hearing about it when I come back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…