DVD Complications

brambles 21:43 23 Jun 06

I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder that uses RAM discs which are excellent but only within the recorder itself - I want to see videos on my PC

I haven't been very succesful in recording on my DVD recorder and playing back on the PC. My recorder does take DVD-RW which it has to format first - then I record & finalise but still my computer doesn't recognise the DVD either in Windows Media Player or in InterVideo Win TV Gold.
My computer is 4 years old could this be the problem?

Brambles

Haol 10:12 24 Jun 06

Does an error message pop up? If so what does it say?

siouxah1 11:01 24 Jun 06

brambles,
you will need your DVD drive to support RAM discs. Not all do.

I have no problem playing RAM discs on the PC, discs that have been written on a Panasonic DVD recorder.

To find out if your drive supports RAM you will need to read the specifications of the drive. Or if you have Nero run the Nero info tool. (under toolkit).

brambles 16:06 24 Jun 06

Haol & siouxah1 - thank you for kindly replying.

I am recording on DVD-RW discs in my Panasonic recorder which it supports in addition to DVD-RAM.

Therefore, after finalising, surely it should play in any PC DVD Player?

I don't get any error message - just 'Please insert disc' even though it is firmly in the drive.

Brambles

ade.h 16:10 24 Jun 06

You need to narrow down whether it's the optical ROM drive or the Panasonic recorder that is to blame. Can you try the discs in another optical drive on another PC?

brambles 16:40 24 Jun 06

Yes thanks ade.h I'm going to try it in my daughter's modern Toshiba. She's in Spain on holiday & if 'Drop Dead Gorgeous' isn't recorded properly there's no Duty free drinks for me.
Thanks again

Brambles

freaky 20:48 26 Jun 06

I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-EH50 which I got at Xmas. If I want to play a recording on my PC then I always use DVD-RAM discs. These have the advantage of being able to delete, edit and record 1,000's of times without any loss of quality. In fact I have never bothered using DVD-RW as they are not as reliable, and picture quality is poor in comparison.

As your PC is 4-years old, then your DVD would not support DVD-RAM disks.

LG supply excellent DVDRW's that support the majority of DVD's including DVD-RAM at about £30 for OEM versions.

Suggest you use the Panasonic DVD-RAM disks. If you do a search on here you will find some good prices for them. Hope this of help.

brambles 21:54 26 Jun 06

freaky - I feel a new PC coming on!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…