dummy cassettes, why are the 2 spools connected?

myfoot 13:09 19 Nov 06

Be surpised if I get an answer to this, but sometimes writing out the question actually results in onself coming up with the answer. I'm talking about those cassettes that are used if you want to connect,discman maybe IPOD too to a car cassette player. They have a unit that sits opposite the magnetic head of the cassette player and this transfers the signal to the car unit. All O.K.

My question , Why are the 2 spools of the dummy cassette connected by a series of gear wheels (cogs)
I have an mp3 discman and these dummy cassettes generate a rattle or rubbing noise which is quite annoying.

Why do the 2 spools have to be connectected in this way? This problem has been intruiging me for too long now. Have thought of going to Google answers and paying for an answer. The weather is so bad today I eventually got to stting down and typing it out.

Stuartli 13:42 19 Nov 06

To stop the cassette player's drive belt being snapped?

myfoot 13:52 19 Nov 06

thanks for the feed-back Stuartli. So this system of cogs is providing resistance, or/and keeping the 2 machine axles connected. Am tempted to open one. Have 2 of them and both rattle. One came with the Panasonic discman, would have expected better from them, but it's just as noisy as the Tesco model

amonra 14:16 19 Nov 06

On some cassette decks, unless there is "motion" detected by the drive, then it switches off the machine. Usually it's a photo-diode and a LED source arrangement. so as long as there is an input to the photodiode then everything is OK.
As regards noise, try a SMALL drop of WD 40 on the cogs.

myfoot 14:28 19 Nov 06

Thanks for all the info. So is what stuartli also right. If my cassette deck doesn't have a motion detector, I'm still not allowed remove the mechanism as the deck drive belt would be in danger of snapping. Will try a drop of oil. Oh the simple answers are are so elusive for me. I was saying the weather here was wild. Just had the wind knock over a pole mounted satellite dish and luckily the pole missed the window by about 6 inches.

Apologies for all these pesky questions

Stuartli 14:29 19 Nov 06

Even better than WD40 (good product but thin and therefore could get where it's not wanted) is EasyGrease or Slick50 lubricant (aerosol form).

These are similar to the white grease used to grease the hinges, locks etc of vehicles which, because it is a "dry" grease, won't mark clothes or run whilst still being effective.

Stuartli 14:31 19 Nov 06

I use the Slick50 lubricant when my computer case fans need a little lubrication - whilst ensuring smooth running it also helps to dampen bearings noise.

Both this and EasyGrease are also superb for use on the locks, hinges etc of double-glazed doors and windows mechanisms because of the non-marking of clothes and for ensuring smooth operation.

myfoot 14:32 19 Nov 06

I'll stop now pesking around here,
thanks to all

myfoot 13:13 01 Dec 06

Got a bit more info on this from another post I made elsewhere.

"""older ones used to check the tension on the cassette's "tape" to see if it has reached the end
but they needed this tensioners location to implement auto-reverse

auto reverse "cassette" players check for rotation in the "non driven" spool to see if its reached the end"""

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…