Do I need a 650 watt Power Supply?

Potchboy 13:29 22 May 14
Answered

I need to replace the Power Supply in my desktop computer and was advised to buy a 300 watt PS. However, when I removed the old PS I saw that it was rated 650 watts. Do I need a power supply with this rating?

The O/S on my PC is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.CPU is a Intel Core i3 2nd gen.500 GB HD and 4 GB memory.I do not use the PC for gaming but I do like to watch movies and occasionally download some music videos.

My concern is if I use the smaller PS will everything work normally as before?

I could really use some expert advice on this one as I don't want to find out afterwards that I have made the wrong choice.

Many thanks. potchboy

onthelimit1 13:51 22 May 14

My initial thoughts would be that if the manufacturer chose to install a 650watt, it's probably best to replace it with similar. Having more output capacity will not do any damage, as the kit will only draw what it needs.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:54 22 May 14
Answer

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.

2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.

3. The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.

Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.

MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.

Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters click here Power supply calculator click here Correct connections Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

2. 3.

alanrwood 11:06 23 May 14

Probably the most important factor is not mentioned.

What is your video card.

Are you using lots of USB peripherals.

300Watts is a pretty low power device and I would be very suspicious that it will be insufficient or working at its limit and thus more likely to fail sooner. The extra cost of a 5-600 Watt version is worth the insurance value. Never skimp on the PSU, it can come back to bite you HARD by destroying your motherboard processor if it goes bang.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…