DIY Fitting a TV Aerial

Bingalau 19:06 14 Jun 06

I have an idea I saw an advert somewhere for a kit which enables DIY fitting of a TV aerial and also the correct alignment of the aerial. Can anybody point me in the right direction please? ..Bingalau..

Forum Editor 23:27 14 Jun 06

If you do, I would be very careful. Unless you're experienced at balancing on a roof whilst juggling with a wire restraining kit and an aerial pole it's something best left alone.

Aligning the aerial isn't so difficult - just look at neighbouring properties and point your aerial in the same direction as theirs. Having someone inside helps - they can watch the TV picture whilst you rotate with aerial for optimum picture quality.

Arnie 00:32 15 Jun 06

If you do decide to go it alone, at least borrow, or as I have done, make a roof ladder. These hook over the ridge tiles.

Believe it or not, I have seen an aerial fitter walking UPRIGHT on a sloping roof. It only needs a loose tile (like the chap mentioned!), to send you hurtling down onto the ground.

I advise placing an eyed expandable bolt in the brickwork near the gutter, from which a rope attaches to the ladder. Allow 4 or 5 rungs to extend above the eaves. This will allow you to step on and off the ladder with relative safety.

TIPS.

Use 75 ohms good quality screened cable. Also make sure the part of the dipole nearest to any road is the one connected to the cable screening sheath. This will help to reduce unwanted ignition interference.

Check that the cable entrance hole to the connection box does not allow ingress of water.

Make sure the aerial covers the group for your area, or use a wide band group 'W' one. Channels 21 to 68.
If in doubt ask the aerial supplier.

Try to tune the set to a wanted weak signal and align to that, otherwise use an attenuator in line with the cable. Don't forget to remove it later!

I am not a professional aerial fitter, but I have fitted around half a dozen aerials which have given no trouble.

If you have any doubt as to your climbing abilities, follow the FE's advice. "Unless you're experienced at balancing on a roof whilst juggling with a wire restraining kit and an aerial pole it's something best left alone".

Otherwise good luck.

BTW. I have seen cheap satellite dish alignment meters, but not cheap terrestrial ones.

Bingalau 09:00 15 Jun 06

Forum Editor and Arnie! Climbing about on my roof presents very little in the way of danger as the aerial is situated on the lower part of the roof rather than the apex. It is also accessible from the flat roof of an extension. I have been and given it a good coat of "looking at" and having looked at the state of the rusty nuts and connections etc. and also heeding your advice have decided to call in a "Proper Man" as my wife calls them. Thanks for your advice once again ..Bingalau..

Input Overload 11:59 15 Jun 06

When you clip the cable down take care not the flatten the coax in anyway or have tight bends on it.

Input Overload 12:00 15 Jun 06

click here Some how not to do it pics on there.

Arnie 15:34 15 Jun 06

Input Overload.
I've been to that site and looked at the 'Rogues gallery'. Unbelievable isn't it and I suppose some of the work was carried out by so called 'professionals'.

I must mention this little this gem.

About six months ago I visited one of my friends to upgrade his computer. He lives in a high rise flat and receives quite good TV signals, both from Sandy Heath and London.
He asked me to check why he was not getting a picture on his second portable TV, used in his bedroom.

On checking, he had fixed the aerial via a bracket on an internal wooden cill. The aerial was pointing towards the ceiling! Not only that, the coax centre wire was looped through the two dipole connections, shorting out what would have been a signal.

He's a lovely chap and we had a good laugh over it.
Needless to say after sorting out everything, he now enjoys a noise free picture.

Jega 09:50 01 Jul 06

hello

ok ive been looking at these two aerials for my digital freeview tv.

which would you go for, and can you recommend any more? ... thanks!

SV9320:
click here

SV9150:
click here

Arnie 19:43 01 Jul 06

I'm sorry to say that unless you can see the transmitter from your property, or live very close to the transmitter you wish to use, it is not recommended to use other than a conventional aerial.

Also please read my earlier posting on this thread about tips.

Arnie.

SG Atlantis® 23:22 01 Jul 06

My old school Principal fell of his roof and broke both legs.

Just a wee warning, you wouldn't catch me up there.

hughes1hughes 23:40 30 Dec 08

Rod Hull saved a few quid on his aerial install, but is unable to commet! However if you do install your own aerial do not have one hand up an emu's back side!
Visit click here
for further info on how to fit your own aerial. however make sure that access is easy and make sure that you are secure when climbing a ladder. I'm a roofer so I fitted my own aerial safely. Be careful...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…