A Digital Photographer's Dream Device

Carbonara 11:14 20 Feb 06

Belkin have a little gizmo called USB Anywhere. This is a little box (battery or mains powered) that allows for the transfer of data/files between two devices without a computer.

With one of these and a card reader and a portable storage device you could take pictures for weeks on end without going near a comp/laptop or CyberCafe.

Forum Editor 13:15 20 Feb 06

and I'm waiting for mine to arrive.

anchor 17:04 20 Feb 06

For those of you, (like me), who may be curious about it; here is the Belkin site for their "USB Anywhere".

click here

hssutton 17:19 20 Feb 06

Ok, I seem to be missing something here.

There are numerous portable hard drives on the market with inbuilt cardreaders. On my recent trip to Kenya I carried a pocket sized 20Gb hard drive with inbuilt card reader, how would such as the Belkin been of value to me?

Carbonara 17:23 20 Feb 06

Probably wouldn't be any use to you.

jack 19:52 20 Feb 06

When I first read the blurb I thought Oh yeeess.
But then I thought a portable hard drive -USB -Will the little gadget power that as well?
Then I thought but I would need to buy such a drive
a 2.5 inch one perhaps - or drive and caddy - More expense- Hmmm thimgs aint never that simple, are they.

Carbonara 20:03 20 Feb 06

Yep, the gizmo will power both devices.Probably better to use the mains adapter if using a power hungry receiving device!

ton 01:20 21 Feb 06

As far as digital photography is concerned, I don't see the point of this gadget.

As you can now buy a 1 gigabyte memory card for about £35, surely it would be cheaper and more convenient to just buy another memory card or two.

This device might have been useful a few years ago when memory cards were small in capacity and very expensive.

jack 09:13 21 Feb 06

Extra Memory cards are my choice and not the big capacity ones either, if a big card and or storage device goes down or AWOL on the holiday of a life time, you will be kicking your self, and the bank manager for allowing you the over draught to buy it in the first place.

Carbonara 10:53 21 Feb 06

I find this unit very handy, not only for photo transfers, but there will alwaays be detractors for ANY new devices.

pc_sausage 11:48 21 Feb 06

Is there a hard drive / backup device that can be used on hols for downloading pics from camera / cards - that can also be used as a backup hard-drive for the home PC?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…