Digital photo frame for an elderly relative

UncleP 03:22 08 May 08

I was thinking of giving a digital photo frame, with a selection of pictures of her great grandchildren, to a relative aged 96. She suffers from memory loss so it would need to operate safely on a stand-alone basis.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations for these devices to be operated under these conditions? Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

jack 08:24 08 May 08

To go to a store that sells them and get a demo.
PCW/Jessops/John Lewis, even larger Boots[I got mine there]
What exactly do you mean by stand alone?
They all work from mains electricity via a transformer as far as I can tell-I have not come across a battery version.
Some wqork from an 9internal memory load bis a USB other have slots for media cards.
Hands on is the only way to check out

UncleP 15:47 08 May 08

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, while money is not a problem, available time is. Although retired, I am - because of a series of unexpected external events - completely snowed under with jobs, paperwork etc, at present and into the foreseeable future. So the chance of finding a couple of days at the moment to hunt round the local shops for a suitable device is, I'm afraid, a non-starter.

As this is an area about which I know very little, I had a look at the list of digital frames on the Amazon website. There were over 500 entries; while I didn't get beyond the second page, it did help crystallize our ideas somewhat.

The elderly relative is nervous and confused by modern technology. So our original idea was to buy a very simple (but good quality) digital frame with nothing more than an on/off or start button (she has problems with the TV controller, for example). This would produce a display of the photos at preset intervals, preferably with a shuffle function, and switch off when finished.

The photos would be stored on a memory card by my daughter (we didn't consider any other form of storage or transfer). A new selection could be taken or posted to a friend who lives near the elderly relative (about 100 miles from us). Battery operation was to be preferred, as it reduces the risk of accidents from trailing cables etc.

Her eyesight is reasonable, but I thought a screen size around 8-10" would be desirable, preferably with the standard photographic 4:3 (landscape) format.

Does such a device exist? I would hate to work my way through 500 Amazon entries only to find that it didn't!

jack 19:39 08 May 08

A google revealed many opportunities
Here are some
click here
click here
click here
click here
-photo-frame-suggestions.html

for the rest
click here

jack 08:43 10 May 08

For the best results
You will have to make the time and go see for your self

Woolwell 15:43 10 May 08

Digital photo frames show a slide show of photos. I suspect that your elderly relative may want to stop at a photo and look at it longer than some others in which case she will need to use the remote. You have already stated that she is nervous of modern technology. She may also want to hold it.

Perhaps it may be better to give her a photo album compiled from your digital photos and using such sites as myphotobook click here (I haven't used them) or Kodak Gallery click here which my wife has.

Al94 20:35 10 May 08

To be honest, I wouldn't go there. It's a nice idea in theory but at her age, she will not be able to understand the concept or grasp how to work it (in all probability) She would probably appreciate some sort of montage much more. My elderly mum at 87 is struggling to remember how to work the TV remote and has given up on the digibox and anything else.

jack 10:11 11 May 08

and one I am sure she can cope much better
In addtion the the suggestions already made take a look at click here album offerings

Simply upload your images, flask your card and backcome an album to be proud of.

UncleP 21:13 12 May 08

Thanks to all who have responded. My apologies for the delay in replying - I've been tied up over the weekend (not literally!), and am just getting myself organised again.

I've taken on board your general view that a digital photo frame may not be the best solution for what we are trying to do. I should perhaps explain that, at her age, the fundamental problem is that she has outlived her generation of relatives and friends, while the next generation - and their children etc - have moved away to find work elsewhere. She lives in sheltered accomodation and is quite well looked after, getting four carers (and the Warden) who visit her each day.

However she is housebound and time passes slowly for her. Although we visit and phone her regularly, and give her photos of the kids etc, she has become depressed recently because she feels she is losing contact with the family. We discussed this amongst ourselves and looked at the ways we could improve the quality and quantity of the material we could send her. The digital photo frame was the most popular proposal, although nobody had any great knowledge of them. But, as the most computer literate member, I was instructed to go off and find out what I could about them, and I'm expected to report back in a week or so.

The target was to send her a batch every month or so, initially mostly photos but one of the advantages of the photo frame was that it appeared to be extendible to short audio and video clips. It was felt that it had to be very simple, no remote control, just a single on/off or advance button. Her problems with the TV remote are not so much that she doesn't understand the technology but sometimes she forgets which channel her programme is on, or which number to press to get that channel, and that becomes a barrier which upsets her.

Anyrate, I'll continue to look through the links you have provided. If I find anything that looks promising, I'll certainly go to look at it if there is a local supplier. If not, I'll go back to the family and tell them we have to think again.

Thanks again!

jack 08:59 13 May 08

If She can cope with TV remote ,how would she be with a DVD player[cheaper than a frame]
These very often ,when disk is is inserted will 'take over the TV and load and play.
Then the Family[via you] can make regular 'slide shows' and burn a disk.
A program such as DVDPixPlay are simple and innovative to use.
click here

amonra 12:46 13 May 08

I agree with jack, a cheap DVD player, auto start, would be ideal. You or the family can send her a disc every so often and she can play them to her heart's content. Try one, they can be got for under £20 so there's no big loss if it doesn't work. Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac