DIGITAL IMAGES ON COMPUTERS

cderekf 21:08 02 Nov 05

I have a cherished Canon EOS IX7 which takes great shots but it is not digital. Can someone enlighten me as to whether it is essential to switch to a digital SLR (expensive!!)to store photos on my computer/discs or can I carry on using my Canon and use a good scanner to transfer selected prints into the computer. The latter is attractive because it gives me the choice of having colour prints but at the same time being able to store them digitally

Regards

DerekF

oresome 22:17 02 Nov 05

You have a choice of either a flat bed scanner or a dedicated film scanner.

Many flat beds now have an adaptor to accept 35mm film which will give improved results over scanning the print, but not quite up to the standard of a good quality dedicated film scanner. Unless you're really critical, a flat bed with film adaptor can produce very acceptable results and can also be used for other scanning purposes.

The resulting files can be quite large, around 20MB without compression, whereas my 6 megapixel digital camera produces a file size under 2MB on fine setting i.e least compression.

LAP 09:17 03 Nov 05

Go digital. The choices/alterations to images is endless. Instant Grayscale (B&W). Instant email images. As for a scanner I have a good quality one, but I find the loss of detail/pixels effect the flexibilty of the images.

'Every little helps'

hssutton 14:59 03 Nov 05

I sold my film based canon gear over two years ago, best move I've ever made. Initial cost maybe a little expensive, especially if you go the DSLR route, but then there are no further costs for film & processing.

The big difference being I now take hundreds of images in a week as apposed to 1 roll of film in a week

LAP 17:36 05 Nov 05

^bump^

Piqxel 13:54 06 Nov 05

Get a good digital camera. Had one for 5 years and have just bought Fuji F810 for £230. Bought it purely as a convenient carry anywhere camera as and the results are phenominal. I still have all my Olympus 35 mm gear but don't think it will ever get used again (2 X OM4Ti's lenses, drives, etc) Once you start using digital you will never want to go back (probably).

LAP 16:46 06 Nov 05

Is there anybody there?

LAP 16:35 08 Nov 05

Is there anybody there? It is a learning curve.

cderekf 09:08 09 Nov 05

Well it looks as if I shall have to bite the bullet and buy a digital SLR. If I bought a new Canon EOS 350D would my current 28-80mm lens in my EOS IX7 be usable or am I being totally digitally illiterate?

Thanks all

derekf

cderekf 09:10 09 Nov 05

Well it looks as if I shall have to bite the bullet and buy a digital SLR. If I bought a new Canon EOS 350D would my current 28-80mm lens in my EOS IX7 be usable or am I being totally digitally illiterate?

Thanks all

derekf

cderekf 09:17 09 Nov 05

Well it looks as if I shall have to bite the bullet and buy a digital camera. If I buy the new Canan EOS 350D can I use the 28-80mm lens from my current CanonEOS IXD or am I being totally digitally illiterate?

Thanks all

derekf

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…