Digital camera for 7 year old

TimCDC 21:19 20 Nov 05

My 7 year old son has been saving up for a camera for a while so that we can add some money to his savings and give him one for Christmas. I think we will have a budget of about £100. Does anyone have any recommendations? I think we need an optical zoom rather than just digital, which I realise narrows things down. A friend who works in school has recommended a Relisys @ about £40 but that only has optical zoom. Am I reaching too high or can anyone recommend anything? thanks

LastChip 00:13 21 Nov 05

I don't know how careful your 7 year old son is, but if he is anything like mine was at that age, CARE is not a word that is well understood!

So, what are the implications of the likely use of a camera given your son's age.

Optical Zooms are mechanical by nature and any careless knock or drop is likely to render the zoom unserviceable.

Digital Zooms by comparison, are software animals that have no moving parts, and whilst generally inferior to optical zooms; would it be a better option for a 7 year old?

Only you can answer that question, but it's worth a thought.

As regards your budget, you can get very good quality cameras now, for less than £100. I'm sure my children would be delighted at something in that price range, even though they are now considerably older than your son, so don't be put off by that. Most of the major manufacturers have something to offer at that price point, but unless your son has exceptional skills for his age, just pick something you fancy the look of. They are all pretty similar, but I would stay with a known camera manufacturer.

If you have a local photographic store like Jessups, they are always a good source of information and often staffed by enthusiasts. At the end of the day, if you think you can get a better deal elsewhere, you can always walk away.

hzhzhz 00:44 21 Nov 05

How about Kodak Easyshare cx7300. Has 16mb internal storage and uses SD cards. Just has 3x digital zoom. Price around £70. Apparently very to use.

hzhzhz 00:47 21 Nov 05

--or Olympus CamediaC-310 with 3x optical zoom.Around £90.

hzhzhz 00:49 21 Nov 05

--or Kodak Easyshare with 3x optcal zoom and 3x digital zoom. Around £90. Good choice for beginner.

hzhzhz 00:50 21 Nov 05

Last one should read Kodak Easyshare CX7330.

hzhzhz 00:54 21 Nov 05

Also Olympus Camedia C170 with 4x digital zoom. This has pict bridge support enabling you to plug camera directly to printer. Around £100.

TimCDC 13:37 21 Nov 05

Hmm, thanks for the tip, Lastchip, re digital zoom. Reckon you might have a point there. And I'll definitely look into the ones that hzhzhz recommends. Thanks.

hssutton 14:56 21 Nov 05

Ebuyer have a Canon PowerShot A410 For less than £100 3.2 optical zoom, very good camera for the money.

Starfox 21:39 21 Nov 05

Can highly recommend these,

click here for digital zoom

click here for optical zoom

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…