DAB Digital Radio Quality?

They claim it matches that of a CD. However a website click here has been brought to my attention that gives a very different opinion as well as posts by other members on this forum.

However, I have noticed that samples on that website click here for comparing DAB against FM use .mp2 format for DAB and freeview samples, while using .mp3 formats for the FM samples which leads me to believe it is very biased against DAB. There are a few other things on the site that also suggest this such as graphs with misleading axes and measurements of quality reduction with FM samples measured by "personal judgment".

Can anyone clarify the true facts about this and anyone that owns a DAB radio please give their opinion of it - I am strongly considering buying one but don't want to spend so much money on something that is going to give moderate sound quality.

Also, can someone please explain how Freeview boxes act as radio receivers. Do you need one with a DAB decoder built into it or can they just read the stations as TV channels. Also, how much choice do these offer compared to DAB.

Many thanks

Dave

the 2nd 'click here' should be this one - click here

wee eddie 00:01 04 Nov 05

This would be a test of the quality of reproduction against a decent Tuner.

There is no doubt that if you get a DAB signal, it is free of background noises.

There is doubt that you can get a DAB signal anywhere in the house.

There is doubt as to the Bandwidth available and therefor the quality of reproduction.

digitalradiotech 01:17 04 Nov 05

[email protected],

I write the digitalradiotech.co.uk website, so here's some responses to your points:

"However, I have noticed that samples on that website click here for comparing DAB against FM use .mp2 format for DAB and freeview samples, while using .mp3 formats for the FM samples which leads me to believe it is very biased against DAB."

DAB uses the MP2 codec, and the audio samples on my website are the streams received on a DAB PC card recorded directly to my hard drive. I do not re-encode them to MP2. I encode the FM samples to MP3 because everybody can use MP3.

"and measurements of quality reduction with FM samples measured by "personal judgment"."

I have never seen any listening tests results for FM, so I have to estimate where FM would fit into that scale. I stand by the estimate I made.

"I am strongly considering buying one but don't want to spend so much money on something that is going to give moderate sound quality."

If you're talking about a DAB portable radio, just buy one. Audio quality on a small portable radio is pretty much irrelevant. Small portable radios can't produce anywhere near hi-fi sound because the speakers are too small.

But try listening to DAB on any hi-fi system, car stereo or personal radio and the problems with teh audio quality are blindingly obvious.

On the subject of digital radio via Freeview: no, you don't need a DAB receiver. Just connect the Freeview receiver to a hi-fi system and navigate to whichever radio station you want to listen to. And because the BBC bit rates are higher than on DAB, the audio quality is also higher than on DAB.

for clearing that up.

If I do buy one, I shall be connecting it to my PC's speakers, 2.1 Creative I-trigue 3200. I suppose they're not hi-fi quality but they would certainly be an improvement over the built in speakers.

Chances are I will go ahead and buy one. I don't have a TV in my room so I doubt a freeview box would be practical unless anyone knows of an adapter that would allow me to connect it to my monitor (it has a spare VGA socket as I use the DVI one).

Thanks

digitalradiotech 11:15 04 Nov 05

You'd be better off with a Freeview PCI card for your PC. They're only about £40 to £50 from places like scan.co.uk etc. The audio quality of the radio stations is higher than on DAB and you get Freeview as well, and you can use the PC card as a PVR to time-shift TV and radio.

I've got the VisionDTV PCI card, which works well.

That does seem a good option however I would prefere something that was independant of the PC - it has very loud fans I would like to be able to listen while I'm going to bed etc without the PC running. Do adapters exist that I'm looking for or will I need to take the PCI route if I'm to use it on my monitor.

Thanks

digitalradiotech 12:04 04 Nov 05

You could just get a Freeview box with an LED channel number display (so you don't need a TV to change radio stations) such as the Humax F2FoxT

Kase 16:58 10 Nov 05

wee eddie Try Comet.com. Product Genus DU1 DAB Digital tuner HI-FI upgrade, 20 station presets, remot control, and I think it has an aerial socket. Current price £64.99 pls delivery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…