Converting DVD VOB Files and DVD Editing Software

Mongraloid 08:26 10 Dec 06

I have just returned from travelling the world, and was fortunate to have been lent a DVD Video Camera, that recorded direct to a mini DVD. I have about 60GB of video footage on various DVDs of all of our travels, and I now have to pleasure of editing all of this so that we have all of the best bits on one single DVD.

The files that I have are all in DVD Video Format, and are VOB files. I have a couple of DVD editing programs on my PC (Windows Movie Maker, Roxio MYDVD, Nero Movie Maker). However, none of these are able to read the VOB files, so i'm unable to even start playing about with editing these yet.

Does anyone know of any free software out there that will allow me to convert all of these VOB files into a suitable format? Also, what is the best format I should convert them to, e.g. AVI, MPEG, etc?

Also, can anyone recommend a suitable software package for editing all of these DVD files? All of the ones I have mentioned above are ok at a basic level, but I want to be able to add different bits of music over the top of voices, and they all seem to struggle with music or they are unable to provide a menu screen at start up. I just want something that is a little more advanced than the basic packages, but nothing as complicated as Adobe Premiere.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Haol 08:39 10 Dec 06

To tell the truth Adobe Premiere Pro isn't as complicated as you think it is, download the trial and use it for a bit. The first time I used, I managed to open a Quicktime file, edit it, add some more Quicktime files, add effects and even make music fade in.

Just poke around the interface and all the options.

David4637 14:20 10 Dec 06

I suggest you look into Pinnacle Studio V9 or V10, or ULead. I use the former, it will import your VOBs and when editted will create VOBs, menus, transitions etc. I don't think there is a suitable freeware version, otherwise I would have grabbed it along time ago. David

Terry Brown 16:36 14 Dec 06

click here

This is a link to a similar problem, which may help you.
Terry

De Marcus™ 21:22 14 Dec 06

Which versions of Roxio and Nero?

Woolwell 23:58 15 Dec 06

My version of Roxio - DVD Builder part of Easy Media Creator 7 - supports VOB. I have also found that Serif Movie Plus5 and Sonic MyDVD also capture VOB. CyberLink PowerDirector 5 should also do this. A copy was available on a DVD cover of PCA.
The problem that I have come across is that Panasonic DVD Camcorders record in either V Format (VOB) or VR Format (VRO). My son recorded one disc in VRO and I have had real trouble getting a suitable editing program. I have tried converters (VRO to VOB) but have ended up with video/sound sync problems which are severe in places.

maryli 05:00 16 Dec 06

I have a Zune some days ago , and I have some video in it , I used Cucusoft Zune Video Converter + DVD to Zune Converter Suite to help me , I downloaded it at click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple