Connecting soundbar to TV with no ARC HDMI

0106rainbow 11:11 05 Dec 14
Answered

Basically, we have TV, Sky+HD box, DVD and BD player and have just bought a soundbar, but we've read a confusing array of connection set ups so would appreciate some advice.

The TV doesn't have HDMI ARC, just HDMI and Optical socket. What's the best way to connect so that we get the most out of everything and can we use our existing Sky+HD HDMI lead.

Any advice gratefully received!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:16 05 Dec 14

Just plug the soundbar into any spare HDMI socket it will work, without Arc you may have to adjust the soundbar separately.

The advantage of arc is it lets the TV remote not only adjust sound on the TV but also on the bar at the same time.

and yes the old HDMI cable will be OK in your case newer HDMI (v1.4) ARC may not work without a newer cable.

0106rainbow 13:45 05 Dec 14

Thank you Fruit Bat. So if we go down the HDMI route, do we not need any optical connection at all? Will we get dvd sound as well as tv sound through the soundbar?

Thanks ßeta. Our tv is an LG42SL9000 and is 5 years old and the soundbar is a Philips HTL5140B. The tv does have an optical socket but the HDMI is not ARC.

I've read conflicting set up instructions, some saying use both HDMI and optical, some saying just HDMI and some saying just optical.

0106rainbow 16:05 05 Dec 14

OK, so the tv acts as a hub and the soundbar works with all other components simply because it is connected to the tv. Have I understood that right? As for TV passing audio, I assume you mean that the speakers can be turned off? I think I read somewhere in the manual that I can do that, so hopefully!

Many thanks.

0106rainbow 17:30 05 Dec 14

Brilliant, thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…