Connecting a basic Freesat 'box' to TV and

jack 13:57 PM 27 Sep 09

HDD/DVD recorder

My daughter because of terrestrial reception problems, had a Freesat set up installed yesterday.
With no knowledge of what to buy- she simply got the aerial folk to come along with dish, cable and box and do the business-
The box they installed is a Grundig GUFSAT02SD Freesat Receiver has a single SCART outlet
This they connected directly to the TV- leaving the HDD/DVD unit out altogether.
She telephoned me to ask how the recorder could be re connected-
As this has SCART in and out and in the past when I owned the unit- it was in the digibox/HDD-DVD- VCR - TV chain- I imagine this could be a similar set up.
Or can it?

BRYNIT 16:45 PM 27 Sep 09

The Feesat box only has one tuner and only allows one channel to be viewed at a time.

If your daughter connects the scart from the freesat box to the video in of the HDD/DVD recorder and connects the scart out to the TV she should be able view or record the freesat channels. Connecting it this way should also allow her to watch a DVD whilst recording from the freesat box.

If the HDD/DVD player is a Sony it may have a G-Link controller + cable see instructions, this may allow the channels to be changed automatically on the Freesat box when recording otherwise you will have to change the channels manually.

jack 10:23 AM 28 Sep 09

For example a normal digital set top box- takes the digital input and converts it to analogue to out put to a standard analogue device - Recorder or TV.

I assume however -that a Freesat [digital]receiver out putting to a digital TV- would not do the analogue conversion- or would it?
or am I seeing bogeys when there are none?

oresome 12:44 PM 28 Sep 09

A HDMI connection, i.e. digital, is not provided with this standard definition set top box.

High definition boxes will be provided with HDMI connectors to link to a suitable TV or other device without the analogue conversion used with the Scart lead.

jack 20:25 PM 28 Sep 09

Where you wrote
'A HDMI connection, i.e. digital, is not provided with this standard definition set top box.'
Does this imply that if not HDMI -not digital- therefore anything through SCART is Analogue?

If this is so the my query is answered as suggested by BRYNIT
It should be possible to 'Chain'- the existing analogue HDD/DVD player
Yes/No?

oresome 21:04 PM 28 Sep 09

Yes.........link as BRYNIT suggests.

jack 09:38 AM 29 Sep 09

Off to play this afternoon
:-@

jack 17:20 PM 29 Sep 09

I went to the shop and discussed the situation with the two personable Asian young men.
The out come they will collect the Grundig, give full credit and install instead a Humax Foxit model- they did say another sensor[LMB?] would have to be installed all for a price a bit less than John Lewis[Who I thought were pretty good].

oresome 18:33 PM 29 Sep 09

LNBs are the receiving modules fitted to the dish.

Two will be required in order to both watch a channel and record a different one at the same time.

Another downlead will be fitted.

I just hope there is no chance of the completed building obstructing the path after this expenditure.

jack 18:56 PM 29 Sep 09

Fortunately the new structure is to the immediate west and the dish as installed is fine and giving good service.
The new structure- block of flats build from tiky tacky plywood boxes- like a stack of rabbit hutches
Jeez!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone