Compact Digital camera with viewfinder: ideas?

Claremarianne 09:50 14 Aug 07

Any recommendations for a compact digital camera with viewfinder, plus ability to take movie clips with sound? Reasons for wanting viewfinder are the usual ones: need my reading specs to see the screen properly, & screen not too good in bright light. Currently got a Fuji F650F, great camera, super video clips, if only it had a viewfinder.

Suggestions welcome please

^wave^ 09:51 14 Aug 07

yes canon a630 or a640 good prices at the moment if you can get one

Stuartli 15:58 14 Aug 07

Or the Canon A710 (6x zoom and image stabiliser) if you can find one.

Unfortunately the specification combined with low cost (as little as £129) meant it flew off most online retailers' shelves...:-(

alB 16:58 14 Aug 07

I've just bought this one, click here Very pleased with it ...alB

Stuartli 17:29 14 Aug 07

alB's recommendation is similar in many aspects to the Canon A710, although lacking the image stabiliser (very handy with a 6x zoom!)

Canon makes darn good cameras.

alB 18:05 14 Aug 07

The Canon A570IS does have image stabiliser, I looked at both of these models and went for the A570 (although not as feature rich as the A710) it just felt a bit sturdier and more comfortable in the hand, Here's a good comparison chart of both cameras click here ...alB

alB 18:07 14 Aug 07

Sorry, the link is incorrect, click compare products on the left hand side ...alB

Claremarianne 10:16 15 Aug 07

Many thanks to all for the advice. Gives me some ideas to research. If anyone has any comments about video clips from any of these cameras, comments very welcome please! I'm having a lot of fun with video clips on my Fuji, great quality, hope to find a viewfinder camera with similar quality clips.

Stuartli 10:44 15 Aug 07

Presumably that's why the A570IS has the letters IS on the end...:-)

alB 16:22 15 Aug 07

You could be right on that one :-) I never thought of that, I think the A570IS is the next model up from the A560 which looks virtually the same except for the IS, This is my third Canon, always been pleased with them, Can't believe the low prices of digital cameras now compared to five or six years ago, my first Fuji set me back £300 for a 2.1mp, Claremarianne, I've not used the video bit of the camera yet, but I've no reason to think it won't be good, there's a good review at click here ...alB

Stuartli 16:42 15 Aug 07

I bought my Minolta E203 (2MP) back in 2001 - it was £349.99 at the time, but I got it for £199.99 from Dabs.

I cry now when I think what £199.99 will buy today..:-)

One of my offspring has the A710 (it's his third or fourth Canon model) and it's very impressive.

His biggest problem is leaving cameras (and phones) around just long enough for some light-fingered type to lift them..:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…