CF card corruption

amonra 16:57 04 Aug 07

I have a Fuji S7000 camera which I am pleased with , BUT, on more than one occasion I have lost shots due to corruption on the CF card for no apparent reason. The last episode was yesterday when my wife took about 10 shots of me working, all reviewed in the camera OK, but when I tried to download to the computer they were rejected as Corrupt ! I tried to download directly off the CF card via a card reader, and also directly via a USB lead, same result both ways. In the end I had to resort to using a recovery program to get the shots back. My question is, how come I could preview OK in the camera and yet not a short while later on the computer ? How did they get corrupted in such a short time ? Any suggestions gratefully received.

LastChip 17:11 04 Aug 07

It may be the program on your computer that is the problem.

If it were me, I would try downloading them on to a different computer and see if the problem still exists.

Having put the card back in the camera, is it still OK?

Alternatively, if you use a different card, does it download OK?

Having said that, it could just be that the card is faulty and is not maintaining stability. They don't last for ever.

amonra 17:19 04 Aug 07

LastChip
I'm not blaming the card particularly, in fact I dont think it is the card, but probably the data is getting corrupted whilst the card is still in the camera. The fault is so intermittent that it's going to be a swine to prove. I was just hoping someone has had a similar problem to throw some light on the subject. Thanks for you response.

BT 08:41 05 Aug 07

I have this as a very intermittant fault on my Fuji S602Zoom. The only thing I can put it down to is trying to take a second shot before the first is fully recorded to the card. This could be the card not being a particularly 'fast' card - they do vary depending on the make and spec.
If you use the continuous shooting option it doesn't seem to happen, presumably because the sequence is only recorded after the sequence is finished.
Its worth watching the little LED on the camera to know when the recording is finished before taking another shot.

jack 08:53 06 Aug 07

Over eager 'snapping' before the buffer has written the pervious shot is a possibility.
Another thing to look for is shed pins in the card chamber.
This is a common fault.
It needs but a mere speck of fluff or dust to impinge on a pin socket on the card to block a signal and in extreme cases break pins off.
Compact flash cards need almost clinical cleanliness- always use the box to store them and transfer them.

jack 08:53 06 Aug 07

Over eager 'snapping' before the buffer has written the pervious shot is a possibility.
Another thing to look for is shed pins in the card chamber.
This is a common fault.
It needs but a mere speck of fluff or dust to impinge on a pin socket on the card to block a signal and in extreme cases break pins off.
Compact flash cards need almost clinical cleanliness- always use the box to store them and transfer them.

P1d 09:26 06 Aug 07

I know a couple of photographers who swear by having ImageRescue2 installed on their laptops. I've never used it but they say it is a must for them, the cards they use are CF.

Hope this helps.

amonra 11:19 06 Aug 07

General concensus of opininion seems to be "too quick off the mark", so I'll mark this resolved. Thank you all for your comments and advice, will keep you posted.

amonra 11:20 06 Aug 07

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…