Canon Ixus 860 camera

Clapton is God 20:48 27 Mar 08

I'm just about to buy my first digital compact camera (yes, I know, where have I been all these years?!).

I've just about decided on the Canon Ixus 860 - nice size/weight, good features, good reviews.

Do any Forum members have any good (or bad) comments about it before I spend my hard-earned?

Kemistri 22:26 27 Mar 08

Yes, I do.

I'm in the process of looking for a birthday present for my Dad and the 860 is one of those that was on my shortlist. I have tested it a couple of times and I honestly cannot rate it. The IQ is mostly good - quite low noise until 800 ISO; the usual excellent Canon colour rendering, which is very natural and not over-saturated; very good detail (better in fact than most Panasonics with their Leica-lite lenses).

Now the poor bits. An awful menu system in comparison to Panasonic et al, which is very unintuitive and has no relation to the excellent Canon SLR menus; a flimsy battery cover, in which I don't have much faith (it will get used a lot for charging the battery and downloading images); it clips highlights a little too much and can under-expose in high contrast; and some reviews have noted that the finish is too easily scratched, though I can't comment about that, of course, having not attempted to prove it!

It's not the cheapest of its kind either. Hope that helps.

Clapton is God 14:41 31 Mar 08

Thanks for your input. Still not made my mind up - but I'll get there eventually!

Noels 15:33 31 Mar 08

One of the best if not the best site for camers reviews.
click here
While my main cameras are all Nikons my pocket cameras are canons and very reliable.
Regards
Noel

Clapton is God 16:08 31 Mar 08

Excellent! Just what I need ;-))

jack 16:52 31 Mar 08

If a good quality camera is required for a modest price- you could do worse that look into what click here have on offer.
This firm buys up surplus and superseded stock.
So that £200 item in Argos or Jessops for example may have been superseded and the old model [last weeks technology] may be available for a considerable discount.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant