Can I upgrade satellite system for BBC/ITV HDTV?

PeterWilly 14:33 08 May 08

I am keen to receive free DVB, in particular any HDTV.
I have a 2nd-hand satellite system consisting of:
• Channel Master 1.2m offset Dish
• Channel Master polar mount
• Super Jack 18” dish actuator
• Swedish Microwave XL1000A Triple band LNB 0.8db
• Palcom SL400 Receiver – latter upgraded from Heathrow Systems
• Then replaced with Echostar AD-3000IP DVB Receiver

Is it a matter of replacing LNB (to what?) and getting a HD Digital Box (which?) I have the HDTV.

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:04 09 May 08

There is no requirement to replace the LNB unless you plan on getting a dual tuner receiver (e.g. sky plus) and do not currently have a quad LNB.

For BBCHD then any old HD receiver will do.

For ITVHD then you will need one of the new freesat receivers. Unless something has changed in the past few days, SkyHD boxes are not capable of receiving the ITVHD stream, whether this changes in the future remains to be seen

Stuartli 08:54 10 May 08

Three of the new range of Panasonic TVs will have/have a Freestat receiver built-in. See:

click here

dms_05 10:40 11 May 08

It's a bit of a shambles at the moment. Reports are that all the initial shipment of Alba Freesat receivers (Bush, Goodman and Grundig) have been recalled due to unspecified software problems. I'd leave it a couple of months before buying anything for any platform.

The problem ITV have created, with their delivery of HD, is that we will have a format war. You need a Freesat logo'd box to receive ITV HD and a Sky logo'd box to receive Sky's extensive HD range of channels. Neither system will do both.

A rerun of Blu-ray vs HD-DVD and from the past Betamax vs VHS. I'm not buying either until the dust settles. I suspect the general public will take the same view and HD uptake will be hindered.

Stuartli 11:06 11 May 08
  Stuartli 15:42 11 May 08

Wait for the Humax equivalent - it's been tested by that very well known consumer magazine and, if you are a member, you can read about it at its website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…