camera batteries

tony58 20:47 24 Jan 06

my son is buying a new digital camera and as asked me how many photos will 2 aa batteries take,is there easy answer ?

cycoze 21:18 24 Jan 06

No there is no easy answer.

Best bet is to have a read up on the particular model your Son is after, chances are the Manufacturers web site will have info on Battery life for specific models.

Some cameras will soak up power faster than others, if there is no moving parts (cheaper models) ie: electronic zoom lens, then the batteries will last longer than a similar model which does have a zoom, if a camera has a constantly on view screen it will use more power than one that does not, flash usage will wear them down very quickly.

To extend Battery life to it`s maximum switch the auto playback function off, keep zooming to a minimum, take the batteries out when not in use.

If you decide to get rechargables get a high rating set, but check which your camera uses, AA`s are usuall NiMH or Ni-cad, look for 2000Amh+ .

Shooting indoors using playback and Flash leaving the camera on while messing around getting things right i have only taken 40-50 photos from a full charge, while the same fully charged set used outdoors in good light has taken 200 shots, uploaded to the computer, then taken another 200 shots, so no definitive guide.

cycoze 21:23 24 Jan 06

Have a look at Steves Digicams click here , your model may have been reviewed there, very comprehensive reviews with plenty of technical info including battery life.

PaulB2005 21:28 24 Jan 06

"NiMH or Ni-cad, look for 2000Amh+ ."

Stick to NiMH - Ni-Cad suffer with "memory loss".

De Marcus™ 21:30 24 Jan 06

click here for the best £30 I ever spent, my wife's point and shoot (DSC-P73) uses them instead of the supplied Sony rechargeables which while good at around 420 shots (no flash) the energiser can easily surpass that with around 600 (no flash) photos, which is ideal for holidays, it means we don't need to take a charger (albeit we do take a spare set in case, though never needed yet).

oresome 21:55 24 Jan 06

I think one of the issues for the average user of digital cameras is that the batteries are discharging all the time, even when the camera is turned off.

If, like me you can go several weeks without using the camera, you'll find that the batteries are invariably in need of a charge when you come to use it next.

On holiday I can take a couple of hundred photos on one charge. At home with much less frequent use and long spells of inactivity, I probably take a couple of dozen photos between charges.

De Marcus™ 23:22 24 Jan 06

In addition to oresome's post I'll stress all manufacturers advice, take the batteries out when the camera is not to be used for a while.

tony58 13:21 25 Jan 06

my son is going for the ixus 40 so the lithum will make things easy for him ; thanks for your help in making his mind up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009