buying new camera which one would be best

LANDCRUISER 15:07 07 Jul 08

hi i need to buy a new digital camera that will give me the same quality that i used to get from my old film camera olympus om1 & as i have quiet a few lenses for this camera would like the new camera to be able to use these lenses & hope you could give me some advice

ventanas 17:04 07 Jul 08

In my experience any one of todays digital cameras will give results superior to film. I have five (including one Olympus) and would never go back to film.
If you shoot reversal film you will find the results much closer. But with digital you have a much greater latitude when using Raw files.
My DSLR's are Nikon so obviously I would be biased to them, but I did used to have an OM2.
Unfortunately your Zuiko lenses will not be compatible with digital cameras, even if you stick with Olympus. Neither will any flash gun you may have. The voltages could fry a DSLR.
I ditched everything when I switched to digital, but I have never regretted it. And they will work like an OM1 - purely manual in every way should you wish it.

Stuartli 17:42 07 Jul 08

It's not a wise idea to buy a camera, digital or film, merely on recommendation or specifications.

You need to weigh up possible contenders that appear to fit the bill and then find an outlet that will let you try out and handle individual models.

Once you have narrowed the field down to two or three a final decision can be made on how comfortable you feel handling a camera, whether it is easy to use and provides the image quality required.

LANDCRUISER 19:52 07 Jul 08

hi there,thanks for your responce,i have two digital cameras that i bought a few years ago & for my sixeth birthday my wife is going to treat me ,so ive been looking & will push the boat out & put some of my money to it to get something thats as good as my om1 but the problem starts when you cannot see what pictures they produce so that makes it quiet difficult to choose,ive ruled the nikon out because there antishake is done through the lenses,ive been looking at olympus or cannon,how much will i have to spend to get a camera to equal my om1

jack 20:30 07 Jul 08

for your new Digital .
Digital lens are different animal although Nikon and Canon ranges of SLR are compatible to some of their film lens they have been designed that way.
Olly did not go that route - being oddball as ever.
But the Olly E series are jolly fine cameras if individual so to say - I have had two. they are OK by Me.

Check out click here l for definitive reviews of all sorts.

Forum Editor 22:58 07 Jul 08

you're going to be spoilt for choice, and Stuartli is right in saying that you really need to make a hands-on decision.

I used to use Nikons back in my film days, but since going digital I've found myself more attracted to Canons. I'm currently using a Canon 450D, which is a superb camera, and does pretty well anything I'm ever likely to want. You can pick up the body only for around £460.

Since switching to digital photography I haven't touched a film camera.

LANDCRUISER 23:28 07 Jul 08

ive been the same, i been using my digital about 3yrs now, i like the advantage of being able to see what you have taken straight away,you mention the cannon 450d ive been looking at this myself,would i be able to use my oly lenses with this,what cameras would take my lenses if 450d does not,ive also looked at oly e range,is there any sites out there that shows the quality of the photos taken with different model,is there any sites that shows what lenses will go with what camera

jack 08:19 08 Jul 08

Comparison sites - click here

Oly existing 'film lens' No Go for Digi use.

Check out the Oly site.

Your Camera shop for hands on.

peter99co 19:03 09 Jul 08

On a digital camera the mirror is slightly smaller and the digi lens fits nearer the focal plane. Digital lens are slightly shorter as a result. This helps to see why lens are not always interchangable.

Stuartli 19:42 09 Jul 08

Judging by the size of modern DSLRs compared to my Nikon F401 body or Ashai Pentax Spotmatic, I'm not surprised some older lenses might not be suitable.

The digital lenses will obviously be "nearer" the focal plane - using a standard 35mm lens will magnify the image on a digital camera (by about 1.5 if I remember correctly).

This is, of course, why digital lens manufacturers state that a zoom lens's range is "equivalent" to a particular 35mm example.

LANDCRUISER 10:57 10 Jul 08

is the oly e3 a beter camera than the cannon 450d,i know its more money for the e3 but is it worth the extra

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017