Broadband Telephony

john bunyan 11:42 02 Nov 07

I have recently had problems hearing callers (distorted and broken speech) on my Vonage phone. I think it is to do with dowmload or upload speeds. I checked and seem to get between 855 to 933 kb/s download and 178 tp 247 kbp/s upload. I am arranging a better service but what are reasonable down and up loading speeds on broadband for telephony?

ambra4 14:09 02 Nov 07

Internet Calls are not always governed by download or upload speed a lot depends on the line quality at the time the call is made, you can make a perfect internet call on a dial-up slow line, where as using a broadband line the sound would be distorted and speech broken, it also depends on the country that you are calling,

Some country telephone phone line system is not as updated as in the UK so that you will get echoes, delays in the speech, broken speech, drop calls, etc.

Changing the phone would at time make no difference if the quality of the line were bad

john bunyan 20:01 02 Nov 07

ambra4. Thanks. My calls were to UK and I use new phone handsets which have worked well up to now. I use BT for normal incoming calls on another handset and there are no crackles on same wiring. I wonder if it is to do with a worse service on Pipex as gamers have reported in another thread? Vonage think it msy be to do with download speeds. I am updating to a better broadband package at, funnily enough, a lower price, also from Pipex.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac