Blue-ray dvd

baldyx 22:21 22 Oct 08

Are blu-ray dvds also gives HD format or are they two different things?

Also, do I need a HD Tv to view blu-ray dvds?
What's HDMI Interface?

Please recommend a blu-ray DVD writer.

Thanks.

GRIDD 23:06 22 Oct 08

Blu-ray is a type of disc that High Definition Video & Games can be played from due to the amount of space available on the disks, more than 5 times that of a normal DVD.

The reason they are not compatible with other drives is that they use a blue laser (DVD uses red) to read the data off the disks, hence the name blu-ray....

You would be better off with a TV capable of displaying HD content for Blu-ray movies but it isn't compulsory. The Playstation 3 for example is uses Blu-ray and it can be used on a normal TV via composite or scart.

HDMI stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface. It's a cable & connectors made to a specified standard to carry High Definition signals between compatible devices.

I can't recommend a Blu-ray writer as I don't have one... they're too expensive at the minute. Here's a selection of from click here

baldyx 11:24 23 Oct 08

Thank you GRIDD.
I will look into the web site you suggested.

baldyx 18:59 04 Nov 08

Beta thanks .My query is : can this be connected to television or is this for connection to pc only? Sounds cheap if does both !
Also I am confused because salesmen at Comets and other shops keep telling me there are no Blu ray writers available yet !

john bunyan 19:15 04 Nov 08

baldyx.
Blue Ray is ideal for HD. At the moment I do not beleive there is a stand alone Blue Ray recorder in the UK for connection to a TV although Panasonic have one in Australia which will no doubt appear in UK. However unless you have a HD source you want to record from it is a bit early to buy one. HD TV is available ony on Sky+ HD and Freesat -then only a few channels. If it is HD TV you want , I would wait a few weeks and get the new Humax PVR and a satellite dish for Freesat. Otherwise a Blue Ray player will be fine for rented or bought Blue Ray movies. A HDMI lead to connect to a 1080p HD TV would give the best result, if expensive!

john bunyan 19:21 04 Nov 08

Sorry - meant to add - the PVR would record HDTV to the hard drive of the PVR, but not burn blue ray discs. I think Happuage have a TV tuner that receives HD TV via a PC and satellite dish (only BBC HD) so maybe you could record to your PC then use a LG GGW-H20L as mentioned by Beta. I would wait a bit !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5