best tools for extracting/adding/fixing avi audio?

theDarkness 12:49 03 Nov 09

3 problems with old family videos converted to avi:-

1. Is there a good tool out there to extract audio in its original form from avi?

2. I am also looking to add my own sound to avis currently without any sound?

3. Slightly poor sound in family vids in avi format, was thinking of either replacing the sound (as above) or even trying to make the sound better with what I have- there is a slight hiss/crackle with some videos, so am also thinking of experimenting, eg are there any good programs that are any good at removing hiss/crackle/general unwanted noise at certain frequencies from video files? I did a google search and it seems to be a bit hit or miss, and most trial progs (usually programs that will record old vinyl!) often state they can do it, but have either comments that they dont work well, or their trials dont fix a complete file.

thanks for any recommendations

theDarkness 12:49 05 Nov 09

virtualdubmod seems to still be the best freeware tool to add/delete audio from video files click here

although to reduce or remove general unwanted noise from audio is probably more hassle than its worth-and most expert programs that do the job well on a pc (usually stated 'to remove noise from vinyl, when wanting to backup onto pc or cd') are often expensive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos