The best scanner for under £250

jamie297 21:04 30 Apr 08

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy the best scanner I can find for under £250. I'm looking to scan in documents, but need them to be as exact to the original as possible. I've done a little research and know about dpi and CCD, and think to have found a decent scanner:

click here

This one is CCD, 4800 dpi x 9600 and 96-bit colour.

Now, for £135 less, this scanner:

click here

This scanner has near identical specifications, except it is 48-bit colour.

I guess my question is, why are the prices so different, and how important is 96-bit colour?

Also any recommendations?

THANKS ALOT!

Stuartli 21:30 30 Apr 08

Might be worth reading this owner's views:

click here

I would go for the Canon or one of its stable mates at similar or slightly higher price levels.

wiz-king 06:47 01 May 08

Depends on what you want to scan, you say documents, but what black and white? colour?. For normal document scanning in black and white 300 dpi is quite sufficient. If you want to scan high quality 10 x 8 photographs then you might need the HP. You might need to think about the memory to store these images for the high quality images the files will be large up to 10Mb, do you have a graphics program that will cope with them?

Stuartli 08:50 01 May 08

Wow..:-)

Stuartli 08:58 01 May 08

As a rough and ready guide, file sizes using 300dpi are:

Quarter page: 1240 x 930 pixels (3.4MB); half page: 2480 x 1860 pixels (13.1MB); full page: 2569 x 3425 pixels (25.3MB); double page spread: 4961 x 3425 pixels (48.7MB).

jamie297 10:11 01 May 08

Ok thanks everyone for responding.

I work for an online tutoring website, and need to be able to scan our certificates to e-mail certain individuals.

We have a computer with a large hard disk, Adobe photo editing software and an ATI Radeon 3850 video card, so the file size will be no problem.

We don't want our certificates to be at all blurred or a lesser standard to the original.

Thanks alot

100andthirty 19:15 01 May 08

My view is that you should treat your certificates as though they were photos. 300dpi will be sufficient, but you might wat to experiment with 600dpi. I agree with stuartli that you'll need no more.

It also sounds like a normal flatbed would be OK and you don't need a document feeder

In my experience the biggest problems are with dust and fluff; invost in a can of compressed air to clean things.

also lok at scanners that come with "digital ICE" a combined hardware and software dust and fluff removing software.

I also find that anything I scan needs some attention from the clean up tooles in Paint Shop Pro (or whatever photo editing software you use!)

You need spend no more than £130 or so for this spec. If you do dust removal manually then you need spend no more than £70

Stuartli 22:58 01 May 08

My Agfa 1212u scanner is at least seven to eight years old - the occasional quick flick with a soft cloth gets rid of the odd dust spot.

For 99 per cent of the time the lid is closed...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…