Best DVD Recorder?

Flopper 17:20 26 Mar 06

Not sure if this is the correct forum but I am in the market for a DVD Recorder/Burner so I can download old video camera movies to the DVD which will (I am told) compress the data to make a 30GB file fit on a DVD, to save me the hassle of copying it in half hour chunks onto my PC hard drive and then laboriously editing it to make it fit. Does anybody have one and can rcommend a decent model?
Which ones should I avoid and which are considered best?
Price is of course a factor.

Bogbrain 19:45 26 Mar 06

You could try here

click here

Dunno if that link will work or be edited out.

De Marcus™ 20:33 26 Mar 06

Compress 30Gb to fit on a DVD? I wouldn't want to watch that movie, if it was actually watchable. I think whoever advised you of this had good intentions (not so if it was a sales assistant) but essentially there's no compression taking place in this context. Pretty much all DVD recorders offer up different recording lengths or modes, these can range from High Quality (1 hour) to super duper extended long play (6 hours plus), recording in high quality mode will give the best picture clarity (highest resolution and bit rate), the extended long play mode will reduce the resolution and lower the bit rate so effectively you can fit more onto a disk, so you see there's no compression taking place, in layman's terms, just less information about the footage your trying to record is being burned to disk so there's more room to fit long films/video on. I find that on my recorder the 1 hour, 2 hour and 3 hour recording modes are acceptable for viewing quality (3 hour mode is borderline IMO), however if I'm burning a disk from a camcorder in which I'll know the original disk/tape will be overwritten so it can be used again, I'll record in the highest quality, no matter how disks it uses.

fazer 12:59 29 Mar 06

Flopper

I agree entirely with De Marcus - you can not get away with that amount of compression.

And if I may also offer some advice, unless your "old video camcorder" (analog?)was a professional or semi-professional model, you need to avoid as much compression as possible. Re-editing/copying analog signals takes its toll on quality - the analogy being audio cassettes; remember how awful they sounded when you tried to make a tape-to-tape copy?

In summary, make your copy but provide as many dvd disks as it takes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…