Auto switching to AV when using an HDMI lead

Chris Webster 21:49 24 Jul 09

Hi,

I've got a Panasonic TX-32LZD85 LCD television and a Technika DP4SS09 HDMI Upscaling DVD player.

I have connected the player to the tele using an HDMI lead into the HDMI1 socket.

According to the tele manual it should auto switch to the correct AV channel as soon as you switch the dvd player on, but it doesn't. My old dvd player connected to the same tele via a scart lead did auto switch.

The only way I can get it to switch is by doing it manually through the AV button on the tele remote and then selecting the HDMI1 channel.

Although this is not a big problem I was wondering if an HDMI connection does actually auto switch.

Also this might be a really daft question but I take I use the HDMI lead on its own and not a scart lead aswell.

Regards, Chris.

john bunyan 21:59 24 Jul 09

Does it auto switch when you actually press play on the DVD. Mine only auto switches when it detects "incoming". Also I wonder if this feature is optional in the TV set up menu?

Chris Webster 22:06 24 Jul 09

No it doesn't auto switch when play is pressed on the dvd remote, the tele just stays on whatever channel I'm watching at the time. Nothing on the dvd remote works, not even the set up menu etc until I manually switch using the tele remote.

I'll have another look through the tele set up options.

Regards, Chris.

BRYNIT 23:49 24 Jul 09

Some TV's, DVD player etc connected via HDMI cables require a setting to be switched on in the menu to comunicate. Some are not compatable.

Looking at the Manual you may need to connect the DVD HDMI cable to the HDMI 1 connection of the TV.

Chris Webster 17:17 25 Jul 09

BRYNIT, The HDMI lead is connected to the HDMI 1 socket on the tv.

I've just plugged in the tv and turned it on, plugged in the dvd player and taken it off stand by and it auto switched as it should (I've not changed any setting options from yesterday). I then put the dvd player back onto stand by, but it didn't switch back to the tv channel, I had to do this via the 'TV' button on the tv remote.

Then I turned the dvd player back on again but this time I had to manually switch using the 'AV' button on tv remote.

As I said in my original post it's not a major problem as we don't watch a lot of dvds, it's just baffling me more than anything.

Regards, Chris.

john bunyan 20:39 25 Jul 09

I have a Pioneer TV and there is, in the menu an option to auto recognise the hdmi. Actually I prefer manual! On a Sony TV upstairs, even the SCART auto detects a signal from the DVD recorder.

jack 08:52 27 Jul 09

see
click here
Subsequently I talked to the local Sony shop[Blue water]and the suggestion was that perhaps a faulty cheapo lead[my one is .9.99 from ASDA]
Now it should work said the assistant with one of these - waving a gold plated Sony lead - £40
Huh!
Long ago I swapped the Computer to Monitor AVI for a HDMI
And to be honest I could not spot the difference.

jack 08:55 27 Jul 09

The SCART works with 'Smartlink' switchon the recordfer and press the aoorprite selector and up it pops
HDMI as with Chris's has to selected and cant be a selector switchig fiddle to get a response

jack 08:55 27 Jul 09

The SCART works with 'Smartlink' switchon the recordfer and press the aoorprite selector and up it pops
HDMI as with Chris's has to selected and cant be a selector switchig fiddle to get a response

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…