Any good TV cards?

tigertop2 16:53 12 Jun 08

I am using a Hauppage Win TV1100 card but am unhappy with its general performance on channel location and its software format.
Is anyone using a card which they would unhesitatingly commend? Preferably digital /analogue.

Stuartli 00:01 13 Jun 08

I have a Twinhan Freeview 3054 PCI TV card (it's around four years old now) which is first class - however the Twinhan software is not/or at least was not all that clever and I've been using it with Showshifter for some time.

It is, of course, out of date now even though it's HD compatible (it was a popular card in Australia where HD has been around for some time), but it's worth having a look at the Twinhan website to have a look at modern offerings.

click here

tigertop2 09:44 13 Jun 08

Thanks Stuartli,

Had a look at the Twinhan site and at the few vendors in the UK, primarily Amazon. Most Twinhan products appear not to be available here and support from the far East does not appear that great. Appreciate your comments but want a card that is more widely available and UK or US supported

Stuartli 13:43 13 Jun 08

The one occasion I had to contact Twinhan (I was asking when a new version of its software would be released) I received a personal e-mail from a female member of its staff, who kept me in touch from that time on with the progress being made.

When I bought the card it was more than £50, but has proved efficient and reliable - display quality (and sound) is excellent on my 21in CRT monitor.

Computer TV PCI cards or USB sticks can often be a pain, especially if they are not provided with the level of signal they require; the cheap ones are not necessarily a good buy...:-)

tigertop2 14:26 13 Jun 08

Noted. I agree. I have 4 TVcards and TVUSB devices from various manufacturers. All offer poor value despite the fact my signal strength is excellent and is aided by an SLX Booster, one of the best of its type. No doubt a decent one is out there but I'd like some user confirmation before I buy another

Stuartli 20:01 13 Jun 08

I have an SLX aerial booster as well, plus one acquired from Aldi which also acts as a three-way mains socket adapter; saves tying up a mains outlet.

Actually the SLX is made by Philex and Tesco used to sell rebadged versions under its own Technika brand name.

Useful technical info by company at:

click here

Other Philex brand names include Labgear. See:

click here

tigertop2 12:16 14 Jun 08

Thanks Stuartli, all useful info which I have logged. I will probably settle for a Leadtek DVT1000S card as it appears to get a broad range of good ratings. Can't be worse than my present set up. The Labgear ref was useful as I am soon to install a Sat dish to feed my Panasonic TV. I reckon this thread is now resolved

tigertop2 12:20 20 Jun 08

Just as a postscript I Installed a Leadtek DTV1000S card. All problems solved. I reddomend it.

Stuartli 12:52 20 Jun 08

Glad you have a happy ending..:-)

newts 09:00 25 Jun 08

I have been using a Nebula Digi tv card for some years and the picture and recording with the free updated software is really good. see click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5