Android phone on hotel's free Wi-Fi

BowenDE 12:16 PM 23 Aug 11

I have an HTC Wildfire running Android 2.2.1 which picks up my Hotmail, AOL email, Facebook etc without me logging in each time. I am going to Mexico next month and the hotel has free Wi-Fi. By connecting my phone to this, I can view all my accounts without entering passwords but is this safe to do? What makes me wary is that my Hotmail was used for spam a few years ago after logging into it, on a different mobile, using free Wi-Fi in another country (although here, I manually entered my password).

ams4127 23:28 PM 24 Aug 11

I use my Blackberry in Thailand to collect emails and that sort of stuff, using the hotel's free WiFi, without really worrying about it.

I do not, however, use it for any sort of financial transactions, or just checking my bank accounts at home.

I also connect my phone to my PC and use the Blacberry software to wipe any passwords/account details before I go.

BowenDE 09:00 AM 25 Aug 11

Thanks ams4127

Woolwell 22:25 PM 27 Aug 11

I've used my Android phone in hotels to pick up e-mails, etc. But I do not do any financial transactions.

Make sure that data roaming is off when overseas as you can get hit bey very expensive data charges unless you have a plan that allows for data out of UK.

BowenDE 08:20 AM 28 Aug 11

Thaks for the info Woolwell.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Toshiba dynaPad release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro 4 rival with Windows 10

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November