Amplifier left channel problem

awest3 17:21 PM 28 Jan 10

I have a marantz reference amplifier, a good 10 years old now. I use it with the internet, the televsion, DVD player and have an extra set of speakers in the kitchen which also run off the amp. I recently noticed that the left channel (both on the lounge and kitchen speakers)is not working. So I played around with all the cables (remaking connections etc) and it started working again..fine so far..except its stopped again..had another look at the cables but no joy this time.
every now and again the left channel will work for 5 mins or so then stop again..As its boths sets of speakers I must assume that the wiring is ok to the speakers and must be a failing perhaps in the Amp itself.

Any suggestions ? or is it time for a new Amp..

canarieslover 18:34 PM 28 Jan 10

Try using some switch cleaner on the pots that control volume and balance. Quite often there is a build up of muck on the internal tracks that cause problems similar to what you are getting. Available from Maplins click here. Usual reminder to disconnect from mains before using it. You may be able to dribble it down the posts after taking knobs off, or take the outer case off and spray direct on pots while rotating knobs.

wiz-king 19:05 PM 28 Jan 10

If it has push buttons to switch sources (mic, phono etc.)switch cleaner on them as well.

BRYNIT 20:15 PM 28 Jan 10

Are the Lounge and kitchen speaker connected to separately outputs on the amp or are the connected to the same output and how.

awest3 08:42 AM 29 Jan 10

The speakers are connected through a switch box, should have mentioned that I replaced the switch box quite recently...I sort of discounted this as the problem is with both sets of speakers..

BRYNIT 09:37 AM 29 Jan 10

It could be the switch box or cable to the box. have you tried one set of speakers connected direct the amp.

awest3 11:04 AM 29 Jan 10

I think I did this...but I'll try again after giving the terminals a good clean..

Wilham 21:45 PM 30 Jan 10

Swap over the leads and see if the fault moves or stays with left speaker.

awest3 09:55 AM 31 Jan 10

I think the issue has to be before the actual speakers as both sets (lounge and Kitchen)have the same problem.

oldbeefer2 11:56 AM 31 Jan 10

Do you have a headset jack on the front? if so, that would help your diagnosis.

awest3 12:26 PM 31 Jan 10 does that help..?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…