Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 or 5?

J B 12:31 16 Feb 07

I am looking into either one of the above with a view to purchase. I can get version 4 at a good price, however, can anyone tell me if they use either one and what they personally think about them. J.B.

STREETWORK 20:13 16 Feb 07

Ask yourself the question, what do I want to do with the software?

If its basic photo editing then use the freebees on the cover disk of PCA.

for more complex tasks then V4 would be good enough with downloaded extras or addins...

J B 20:42 16 Feb 07

You know what, your right. Since putting up this thread I had a look around and I am going to try a few of the free ones. I think that I will try Paint.NET and maybe the Gimp. J.B.

David4637 13:02 17 Feb 07

If you want to do serious digital manipulation from your digital camera, then Elements is your second choice, the first choice being Photoshop Version 7 or onwards towards CS. The rest are a poor third in comparison! David

Kate B 14:45 17 Feb 07

Not true - full-fat Photoshop doesn't have much more to offer than the excellent Elements. Curves are missing and I believe some professional colour-handling capabilities, but Elements is more than enough for pretty much every home user.

David4637 13:29 18 Feb 07

Obviously you have not used full photoshop - anyway if you had read my thread you should have noted the word "serious" digital manipulation. As I have also said above Elements is a good second option not a last option. David

Z1100 11:46 20 Feb 07

I used a copy of Photoshop 7 (it did not belong to me) before I started my business of photo restoration and Negative transfers. When I decided to go live I used a trial version of Elements 4.

I could see no reason for buying any high end, high priced paint software package after I compared them both so I bought Elements 4.

I can restore old images, scan Negatives, slides and APS film. I can erase, replace and enhance any portion of an image and I can artistically transform the image as well as colour B&W images and all for £34.00

I can also prepare images 'for the web' using resize options and the many file formats that are supported. As a serious user I do not need anything more. Maybe if I move into CAD... ;)

Bargain. And it runs my business.

Hanx!
K.

Kate B 18:23 20 Feb 07

Don't be so patronising. I have the full CS2 suite. Elements is more than suitable for a home user.

David4637 12:56 22 Feb 07

Read my threads properly before you put pen to paper, you will see I do not put a down on Elements. David

Kate B 01:11 23 Feb 07

This user wasn't after professional picture and colour handling; he wanted to know if Elements 4 or 5 would be the better buy. You waded in making irrelevant comments about how the only one for serious digital manipulation, which wasn't the subject at all, then you snootily said "obviously you have not used full Photoshop" - not only was that not relevant to the user's original question; it was rude and patronising to me. As it happens, I've been using full Photoshop both professionally and at home since version 4.0 and now, as I said earlier, have the full CS2 suite - which in fact I don't need as I just use it at home for tidying up my own digital images; I was fortunate to be given a copy.

So you've hijacked the thread, shown off and patronised me. Nice work.

J B, apologies for the hijack. What did you decide in the end to go with? How did you get on with the Gimp?

anchor 11:54 23 Feb 07

I consider that very few amateurs could afford, or even justify spending, the best part of £500 for the full Photoshop CS2.

Photoshop Elements, or Paint Shop Pro, will do almost everything a keen amateur would ever need, at a fraction of the price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac