A3 printer - best one?

Meg Learner 11:53 31 Dec 08

I want to buy an A3 printer but there are not many reviews on these. Has anyone any views on the best please? I am a photographer (snapper, might be more accurate) and want to print some of my photos at A3 size to frame and hang on the wall. I have found reviews on 2 possible A3 printers, both by Canon. One is the Canon PIXMA Pro9500 A3 - a Professional Inkjet Printer at £522 and the other is the Canon Pixma IP5000 at about £230. Both get good reviews and I can source the inks for the IP5000. I can't find the inks for the more expensive one. I currently own the Canon Pixma IP4300 and have been very pleased with its performance. The IP5000 has one fewer ink tanks than my current A4 printer, so that worries me a little about print quality. The pro9500 claims to be able to print great monochrome prints but it may be a little complex to set up. My best photos are usually portraits (family) but having retired, I would like to learn to improve my landscape photos. Any views please? Thanks very much

100andthirty 15:27 31 Dec 08

if you chose the Pixma Pro9000 - see this link for one stockist:

click here

you'd use the same black, magenta, cyan and yellow inks as on your A4 printer plus light versions of cyan and magenta as well as green and red. It omits the pigment black which isn't usually used for photos.

I don't have this printer and there was one very negative review on the Amazon site - but if you buy from Amazon you have confidence in their after sales if anything goes wrong

Stuartli 21:38 31 Dec 08

I went into Staples recently and there were several A3 printers on special offer (surprised me as normally there seem to be very few around of this size).

Only two listed on this link:

click here

so a personal visit if you have one near you may pay off.

Pamy 14:13 01 Jan 09

click here have a look at this forum

Meg Learner 15:23 01 Jan 09

Thanks for the link to the other forum for ephotozine. Looks like some others have the same difficulties as me in choosing the best A3 printer but this gives some more info. I have had an Epson A4 printer previously and it gave good quality prints of photos but the only problem with it was that the ink cartridges clogged quite often. I think I am going to go for the pro 9500, provided my normal ink supplier can get me the ink cartridges!
Thanks to all who took the time to reply. Your input, especially at a holiday time, was much appreciated.

Stuartli 16:41 01 Jan 09

I keep my Epson R300 switched on permanently to avoid the head cleansing routine it would go through each time it was switched on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…