3 modem > USB port cables

jarsek 12:56 PM 14 Oct 08

Hi,

Just started using mobile internet on my laptop using a 3 modem connected to the USB. They supplied 2 different cables and no explanation why. One is a simple short stubby straight connection from modem to laptop and the other has three ends - two are USB and one for the modem. Haven't tried the latter yet as the former works fine. What is the double USB one for? More speed maybe? I'm curious.

@k@n!c 14:44 PM 14 Oct 08

the extra usb connector is for extra power to the device if needed...should have a label on it to say..kind regards akanic

jarsek 15:42 PM 14 Oct 08

Hi akanic,

Thanks for your response.

There was no label unfortunately. I must try the other cable with the twin USBs some time to see what happens!

peter99co 15:51 PM 14 Oct 08

The extra long is used to raise the Modem higher and you should have a piece of velcro to fix it in position on the laptop case.

jarsek 15:57 PM 14 Oct 08

The length piece I understand but that doesn't explain why two USB plugs are required. I have plenty of USB devices all of which are mono-pluggal ;-)

@k@n!c 07:32 AM 15 Oct 08

like i said.. on my cable with the two usb connections one of them has a label saying power assist on it mabey for usb 1.1 conections instead of usb 2 or older low powerd computers or laptops?
kind regards akanic

jarsek 01:00 AM 16 Oct 08

Thanks akanic - that does make sense. Thanks again for your input.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites