19" monitor for use with Photoshop recommendations

metal god 11:58 01 Feb 06

My trusty old Mitsubishi 19" CRT monitor has died and I replaced it with CTX EX951F+ monitor -which, despite calibrating with a Spyder is pretty awful (not consistent colour balance throughout the screen). I'm sending this back and I'm now on the lookout for a 19" monitor (either flatscreen CRT or LCD)for no more than £300.00.

It will be used for manipulating photographs using Photoshop CS2, so it must be pretty good for colour critical work. Can any other digital imagers out there make some recommendations? I do have a preference for CRT as I believe they produce the best quality images, but if you think there is an LCD that will do the trick let me know. As an example, I have heard that the Dell Ultrasharp monitors are very good....?

PsiFox 14:25 01 Feb 06

Read this article about which type ofmonitor to choose depending on what you want to do

click here

AndySD 23:46 01 Feb 06

My main monitor blew today also so I have been looking at ViewSonic VX924 click here

I am also looking at click here but I cant find a review so it looks like I may have to get a 21" or 22" at about £360

Forum Editor 09:25 02 Feb 06

click here and I have to say it has one of the best displays I've ever seen. She (the client) works with Desktop Publishing applications, and is constantly manipulating images in Photoshop etc.

mole44 11:05 02 Feb 06

i have the same one as FE`s client.tis a very good display,i can`t fault it.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:23 02 Feb 06

I too have a Samsung SM930BF and share mole44's and FE's opinion of it.

cycoze 20:57 02 Feb 06

For "my postings" ViewSonic VX924 and Samsung 930BF, only 1ms in it.

FUl2tiV3 04:58 03 Feb 06

FE could you confirm which monitor you were using yourself? you mentioned it a while ago, but i could not find the post when i looked again. seem to think it was an LG model?

thx

Djohn 18:47 07 Feb 06

The 930BF is an excellent monitor but not the best for photo or image editing, being a TN 6 bit panel with 16.2 million colours it has limited viewing angles compared to a MVA or PVA 8 bit panel with 16.8 million colours.

Although it gives viewing angles of 160 degrees in the specs, those are taken at 5% reading. if taken at the normal 10% reading they will be more like 140 degrees. PVA panels have wide viewing angles of 170 degrees in both horizontal and vertical plain and give a viewing experience closer to what a CRT does.

Have a read on the review here. click here

Djohn 18:52 07 Feb 06

Sorry, forgot to say that the 19" viewsonic VP930 PVA panel can now be bought for a touch over £310 if you shop around and is rated as one of the best TFT monitors for Photo editing work.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:17 07 Feb 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…