Yet again Brits pay through the nose

TOPCAT® 17:19 18 Apr 05

This time it's for domain name registration. Up to three times more here than across the pond.

Not nearly so bad as highlighted in the FE's Consumerwatch thread and his resulting article in our latest magazine, but still another price hike for the unwary. TC.

click here

Pooke100 17:30 18 Apr 05

It never changes, two threads ran recently about the price of BB in the UK and another about the cost of software here.

Can't remeber the titles, but they where interesting, well actually gut-wrenching to be honest.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:12 18 Apr 05

The exit door of the UK is always wide open to those who wish too take advantage of cheaper prices and cost of living abroad. ;-)))

G

Pooke100 19:26 18 Apr 05

I'm proud to be British and if means I have to pay more so be it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:36 18 Apr 05

I like the cut of your jib Sir/madam!

G

Pooke100 20:13 18 Apr 05

One is not a great typist, my kind sir.

TOPCAT® 22:00 18 Apr 05

With respect, the last comments are not in my opinion worthy of reply so I'll close this now. TC.

jimmybond 22:40 18 Apr 05

"the exit door of the UK is always wide open..."

yep - i'll just inform the wife and kids we're off to live in spain next week, convince my boss to open up a new branch over there, take a few 30 minute language crash courses - oh yeah - i'll convince all my m8s to ship out there aswell while i'm at it.

We're not all David Beckham y'know ;-)

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:31 19 Apr 05

I fail to understand TOPCAT®'s annoyance from what I thought was a good, succinct reply to this old, old chestnut. If prices were the sole thing that one judged the comfort of a country by, we would all be on the razz in Eritrea. Having lived in the UK and America, I can say that I do rather prefer it here for many reasons that outweigh the cost of living.

I buy quite a bit of stuff from the States and even with shipping (cheap if you are prepared to wait 3 weeks for delivery and you do not get hit for VAT/Customs duty)they tend to be cheaper but if you buy in the States there is always state 'till' tax to add. Comparing the prices of goods in one country against another, solely on fiscal cost is as much use as a chocolate teapot. There are a huge number of other factors to take into consideration.

The winky comment about moving abroad is valid though. Many people from the UK have gone abroad, including ones with large families and de nada cash. The figure was around 200,000 ish in 2003 and I expect this would be higher now. No one can convince me that all these people were single and stinking rich.

I am afraid that this is a strawman statement that is unresolvable unless one considers running for Parliament or the EEC. I have a couple of Bulgarian friends who told me yesterday that many goods in Sofia are similar to western prices yet the pay for surgeons etc. is laughable, much lower than a 16yr old gets in the UK with a PART-TIME job....you think we have it bad here....bah!

Forum Editor 00:45 19 Apr 05

and say that it shouldn't be necessary to take such a Draconian step as leaving the country of one's birth in order to obtain a fair deal on something as trivial as an internet domain name, and to be honest, the cost of living in other countries shouldn't have any bearing on the subject.

To say that a UK resident has to be charged over double the price paid by an American resident because of "geographical differences" is nothing less than an insult to the average person's intelligence, and to make a further attempt to justify it by saying that it's "common practice" for multi-national companies to do it is even worse.

One of the reasons we are treated in this fashion is that we tend to roll over and accept the status quo - it simply wouldn't happen if the roles were reversed. Americans would want a better explanation than the silly response that is quoted in the Inquirer article, and they would be right.

If there really is a valid reason for this apparently grasping approach to domain name registration let's hear it - I'll willingly post an abject apology to 1&1 if they can come up with something a tad more convincing. It all gets very interesting when you take a look around at what other registering companies charge. I found UK-based companies charging as much as £15 for a one-year .com name registration, or as little as £7. Obviously the geography's even more "different" in some places than in others.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:59 19 Apr 05

I also find that many people that I know make little or no attempt to do a bit of comparative pricing through laziness or technofear.

We had a similar conversation in the local a few weeks ago. Two of the regulars were due for car insurance renewal. Both had done *some* research a year ago and had done a little again; they were both going to pay about the same price as last year, which as car insurance has gone up, seemed to be a good deal. We spent 2 hours on their computer and about an hour on the phone. One saved £125 and the other £97. £220ish for 3 hours work is not bad by anyone's standards especially as we were non-compos mentis by the end. An isolated incident...perhaps, but the number of times that I see bought items that could have been purchased a lot (10-20% not a few pence)cheaper makes me think and understand why firms will charge what they know that they will get.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…