XP updates

HXP 22:46 14 Feb 04

My machine arrives in a few weeks with XP installed - I've only got a dial up connection. How big are these critical updates and how do I patch if they are too big for dial up download ?

gudgulf 23:02 14 Feb 04

Most updates are ok with dialup connections--I seem to be able to get anything upto about 30mB on mine with a 2hour cut off on the connection.

spuds 00:00 15 Feb 04

If your computer requires the SP1 pack, I would suggest that you get it from click here or click here They will send you a SP1 cd free of charge.Saves trying to download from the internet, especially on slow dial-up.

PurplePenny 14:01 15 Feb 04

Remember to get someone with either XP already patched or W98 to download the Blaster patch for you and install it before you go online.

Downloading patches on dialup is tedious but can be done. I downloaded a great many patches on my old W98 machine and burnt them to CD so that they would be already to install on our new XP machine.

As spuds says service pack 1 is available free on CD from Microsoft. You may probably find that you don't need it, it ships with XP now. I ordered it from MS just in case but didn't need it.

ericmax 09:55 16 Feb 04

One good patch to install on your PC before you go on the internet is the Windows rollup patch,It includes some of the most important updates rolled
into one download,It's size is about 9meg.Get a friend to download it for you and burn it to a CD.
Many PC's are being infected by the blaster worm before they get updates installed,installing the rollup beforehand can save you a lot of aggro.

georgemac 17:56 16 Feb 04

who are you getting it from? I would be very surprised if SP1 was not preinstalled, and also the same for a lot of the critical updates.

Surely large OEM's will ship their products as up to date as possible? At least within a month or 2?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…